• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lumpy bumpy bunny!!

nicolar

Mama Doe
I have just found a lump on Pippa, my 6 year old Rex :cry: It is under her arm pit and is a fair size, it must have grown so quickly as I haven't felt it before. She already has a couple of lumps in her dewlap which I have been monitoring, they seem a bit bigger but not too much. I was going to take her to the vet this week anyway about the lumps in her dewlap, but now there is a more urgent lump. It feels really hard but moves around.

She is also quite snuffly so will probs need Baytril for that, these things always happen all at once!

Thanks for listenin, just needed to talk, I'm really worried bout my lovely girl. I just don't know what the vet will say, with her breathing so snuffly I would want that cleared up before she had an op. One of my other buns had a lump in about the same place, unfortunately it grew very quickly and she had to be PTS, she was 6 as well. :cry:

Nicola

It could be a mammery tumour - these are often benign and the vet might just wip it off. It could also just be a fatty lump, especially if she has similar ones in her dulap. Or as it's hard it could be an abcess.

Moving around is good, that means it's not attached to something :D

I've my fingers crossed for her, hopefully it will turn out to be something very fixable :)

Tam

Thanks Tam - I thought that as it was movable that is a good sign :) I do tend to over react though about everything and am now worrying!

I hope they can whip it out, she had to have a mammary strip removed just over a year ago - the lump was benign then and they said that a similar one may grow back in another place (I'm sure they mentioned dewlap!). So I am quite hopeful they will be able to do something. Do you think they will try to get all the lumps out in one op? I was going to book her in to get the lumps in her dewlap removed (if vet agreed this was needed). The lumps in her dewlap aren't bothering her but if we can kill two birds with one stone that would be good. She has had 3 anaesthetics in only the space of a year - but sailed through each one, so fingers crossed can do the same again!

Thanks for replying, I'm feeling more positive than just 5 mins ago! Will let you know what vet says 2moro evening.

Nicola

If she has a history of benign lumps that sounds the most likely possibility. They have mammory tissue going right from chest to groin - need it with the amount of little wrigglies they can have at once!!

I imagine that the vet will take them all out at once. If the dewlap ones weren't changing much then they might have left them but if she has to go under for the underneath one then might as well take them out too.

It should heal up pretty quickly, it's not like with a spay when they have to go through muscle etc.

Tam

Yeah that's what I thought too, get them all out while she is under! I hope it is something easy to remove, she seems to cope well under the anaesthetic, they said there are no problems when she is under and the last mammary op was quite long because they had to take out more than anticipated. (Think I'm saying all this to convince myself that all will be well!)

When they removed the mammary strip last year it healed pretty quickly and after every op she stays in crate in my room for few days so she gets extra snuggles :D

Nicola

I hope Pippa is okay and that the lump is nothing serious. Tons of ~~~~~ positive vibes ~~~~~~ being sent her way :D

Thanks Bunnster and Sooty, will be ringing up first thing tomorrow, should get an appointment 2moro evenin so will post on here when I get home.

Thanks everybody, I have an appointment at 6.40 so wil be leaving in few mins. Katie, I agree she has years left in her :) Although she is starting to look a bit older and is slowing down bless her.

Thanks Gina and Kerry. Us Mummies worry a lot don't we!!

The vet said that it is a fair sized lump (kicking myself 4 not noticing it sooner but been more worried bout the lumps in her dewlap!) and that she isn't quite sure wot it is but probs more likely to be an abcess as it is under her armpit. She said tumours don't often grow there. She said although quite big it is hard and just one mass which is quite movable so she is hoping it will come straight out in one go. She said I could leave it but it may get to a size where they can't do anything about it and I don't really want to take that risk.

She is also quite snuffly at the mo so she has a course of Baytril + Bisolvon for a week, it should improve then and she will have her op next Mon or Wed once she is over the snuffles. (Gotta work out whether I can have a day or two off work, already off Tue + Wed so will try for the Mon or Thur!) My vet is going to do an 'investigatory op' - she said once Pippa is under she will stick a needle in to assess what they are dealing with, if she is confident it can be removed she will but otherwise she will leave it.

I think it may take a while to heal but will borrow dog crate from work to keep her in so she keeps still for a while, fingers crossed it all goes to plan but I gotta give her this chance, can't just leave it. My last bunny had to be PTS because of a tumour that grew quickly, can't have another one!!

Thanks so much for all your support, great as always :)

Nicola and Pippa xx

Back