• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

windows in sheds

I am getting my shed in about 2 weeks for the rabbits but the one I'm getting has 2 windows but they don't open, how have others with sheds over come this. Have you made them so they do open or just left them. I can't leave the door open with out something covering it as I have a dog and lots of cats visit the garden on a regular basis.

Love
Rachel xx

Hiya Rachel

I'm not sure how other forum folk have overcome this but you will need to ensure your bunnies have adequate ventilation - at the moment the weather is cooler but when its hot a shed without Ventilation could be very bad news for your bunnies.

Might be worth having a look at some of threads which show Sheds which have bunny runs attached to them - there are quite a few brilliant ideas on here - Jeremy has built a brill outdoor unit for trio of bunnies - you may need to rope in someone who is handy with carpentry but your bunnies will love you for it.

Good luck with your shed project :wink:

I had an extra pair of windows put into my shed - it only added £20, but they don't open. I have a wooden frame of wire that slips into the doorframe so I can leave it open to give them ventilation. I just happened to have one that fitted, but you make one up the right size, or have it made. Another alternative might be to have the door cut into sections like a stabledoor.

i have 2 windons in my shed and in the summer i just take them out and put up some mesh in and the door is a stable door but also has a wire door which is closed all the time and only close the other door at nite during the winter
becky

My hubby changed the windows in our shed so they do open, and we put wire mesh on the inside to stop any unwanted visitos getting in, He also made a frame to fit the doof which is covered in mesh so the door can be open in warm weather it can be locked into place with a padlock and bolts.

My Dad made an interior wire mesh door, it's like a stable door so I can step over it to get in and so she doesn't fly out! The wooden door is opened every day and only closed at night. When it is raining I only open it a bit so the rain doesn't get in!!

Nicola

I replaced my window with mesh and fitted a blind on the outside made of a shower curtain and broom handle to stop the rain getting in!!!

hi

oooooh - I like that idea Touie - and no bloke power needed, which is in short supply around here! :roll:

If anyone could show me a picture of how they have done their windows and doors or a detailed description of how to make them open I would be extremely grateful. My sheds coming on Wednesday!! I can't wait :D

Love
Rachel xx

hi

I bought a roll of cage mesh from Wilkinsons general stores - for about £4 - which would be enough to cover a window sized area - It depends how the shed window is when you get it - pre-fixed in a panel or what? Cage mesh is stronger than chicken wire (the diamond type wire mesh - don't even think about plastic as a dog can easily rip it open)

If you wanted to make a panel for the door you would have to measure the doorway and make it to fit from wooden laths available in DIY shops.

doorkeeper said:
I had an extra pair of windows put into my shed - it only added £20, but they don't open. I have a wooden frame of wire that slips into the doorframe so I can leave it open to give them ventilation. I just happened to have one that fitted, but you make one up the right size, or have it made. Another alternative might be to have the door cut into sections like a stabledoor.

Snap, hubby made one of these for our shed on Saturday :D They have a window that is left open, and the tube which connects to the run, but I was still concered about them getting hot. Hubby put wire over the frame and then attached some voile to it to stop any flys etc getting in. Then attached it to the opening with some little bolts. They also have ice bottles in the shed and run too :D I'll post a pic later if that helps.

Back