• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas on building a run

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
Im hoping to get the bunnies into the shed very soon,i need some ideas on how to build the run im going to attach to it,anyone got any ideas???

I did my runs out of simple wood and chicken wire, it was cheap, looks very nice, and works!

Here are a few piccies for ideas:

yard3.jpg

yard4.jpg

When you make it yourself it saves loads of money, and you make it how you want it, not how the company wants it!

thebeldhams said:
Saw this article on website might be useful
http://www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk/diycabins.asp

-that link was very interesting, it gave me some more ideas for future runs :D ...thanks!

Heres my shed the run would be attached at the side of the shed where mildred is standing,how tall should i make it? as tall as the shed? and how wide etc????
1cae66ebf096d74b3f4efe27008c9b52.JPG

I think, I'd either go for just under the eaves or just under the window for height. That way you could have a fixed lid and still be able to get inside (relatively easily) to catch them if needed or chat with them.

Width wise, I guess as big as you have room. I don't know how big the rest of the garden is but I imagine the dogs would be miffed if you nicked all the space :)

Tam

attached run

if i had been asked to to custom build a run to attach to that shed (I am a hutch manufacturer) I would make it just under the eaves of the shed and come outwards from it at least 3ft, if you are roofing it, roof it with exterior ply and a good roof felt, and slope it slightly away from the shed to allow rainwater to disperse (only needs to slope a few inches)

This is mine the lid opens up so we can easily get inside, and the buns have a little cat flap that we close up at night time.

shed1.jpg

Hmmmm....mine is 4ft high and it looks so much taller than yours!!! Is it a size mistake or am I going crazy?! :roll: :lol:

Yours is on concrete, Is that ok? Because i just have a concrete garden and wanted to have a run for Pepsi (before i move into a bigger house, because then she is coming indoors!) Anyway everyone told me not to because it will be on concrete! Your Hutch is great did you build it? Also everyone laughed at me when i said im going to build a run! I cant even hang up a picture straight :lol:

hi

concrete's best for them to run on - it keeps their claws worn down, they can't dig out and escape - and nothing can dig in either - and it's easier to clean...If you put them on grass it turns to mud in no time as they eat a LOT of grass :)

Yes, my current hutch and run is on grass as I thought the rabs would like that. Turns ou they liked it too much! It's now practically barron!!!
Not muddy as I cover it with a polythene dust cover when it rains to keep the hutch and run dry. I sweep it every night as my rabs poo for England and I have also watered it when the rabs have gone to bed as one night I smelt rab wee.

Am hoping to get a large moveable run so that the rabs can use the rest of the lawn and re turf the bit that they've destroyed.

All the runs look fab :D I'd be happier with one that had a lid as I'd be scared of anything jumping or scrambling in. When I was a child I had 2 guinea pigs killed by a neighbours dog who climbed down a steeply placed ladder into a 6 foot high run to get them. Preditors can be very determined.

Nice of the hutch company to give advice.
Rabswood

Back