• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing Charlie

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
I noticed the other day Charlie was sneezing abit and i guess you could say grunting slightly too. His nose is a tad bit wet.

Does that mean hes got alittle cold?

get him to the vet asap . It could just be a slight cold but it could be snuffles and will require antibiotics . Is he eating ok or is under his chin a bit wet as if it is , it could be his teeth . Please get him check urgently as snuffles can be serious and manifest itself in many many ways . On the plus side , cheekybun lived with this for nearly 7 years but he was on medication most of his life to control it .

Thanks Gina,

He has been eating fine, and general behavour is normal to me aswell. He did go out in the rain the other day which maybe related?

He isn't wet under his chin either, just his nose.

Many thanks x

I'm afraid rabbits don't get colds, Gina is right, I'd get him to a vet so he can do a swab of the discharge to see if it is Pasturella (Snuffles). If it is he will most likely go on Baytril for the rest of his life - which will not cure it as there is no cure, but will keep it manageable for him. However it can still be passed on even when on this drug.

Fingers crossed it isn't snuffles!

Sorry for the slow reply. Charlie seems to be okay now for some reason, but i am going to keep an eye on him over the next few days.

Thanks x

glad he is ok , a little tip for you , if he is sneezing and grunting again , try placing a tissue with some drops of olbas oil near his bed , somewhere that he can,t get to it tho - did you take him to the vet or are you keeping an eye on things now that its stopped ?

Sooty and Lolly both have snuffles although Sooty seems to be fine now and Lolly only sneezez occassionally. I would get a check as Sooty responded well to a long course of Baytril so better to catch it sooner than later. Buns can go downhill very fast with snuffles. On the other hand it might have been something stuck up his nose? Any sneezes and get him looked at. Good Luck

Back