• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Names

Jayne

Mama Doe
Hi all,We're hopefully going to get to get two female rabbits from the RSPCA (SOOOO excited!!) Never had rabbits before but been researching like mad and reading this website constantly as we really want to do the best for our girls (fingers crossed everyone that we get them).Hope this doesn't sound a totally daft question! but can you rename rabbits?they are approx 9 months old.Don't want to confuse them though.So sorry but I'm sure I'll be back with many more odd questions please bear with me!

Rabbits are very smart and would get used to having been renamed :D I had a rescue bun many years ago whose name we changed and he picked up on the change okay.......... bribing him with small pieces of veggies helped to :lol: How long do you have to wait for your buns? Do the RSPCA do a home visit first? I hope I'm not being to nosey but I'm looking into getting a rescue bun myself :D

Hi thank you for replying.We've been to RSPCA a number of times to check the rabbits out and when we went yesterday we saw Gabbie and Sylvie and totally fell in love! They allowed me to fill the form in there and then to reserve them and we are going back down in about half an hour for my husband to okay it too (all family members have to agree) they will then send a home visitor to check everythings ok here and we should then hopefully get them in a week or two! The girls have given up their playhouse and we've put a hutch inside as bed and we're putting a little doorway either side so we can put a run either on the grass or patio.So hopefully we've done everything right.Will keep you posted! Thanks again.

They sound like very lucky buns to be going home with you :D I hope you don't have to wait to long before you can take them home. Congratulations and I look forward to seeing buntures of them real soon :wink:

Sounds like they will love their new home! My two don't respond to their names anyway. Only to food! I should have called them Basil and Mint, ha ha!

Thanks for kind comments.Been back down and we're waiting now for the home visitor to get in touch (waiting's not something I'm good at!) Think we're going to stick with Sylvie and Gabbie as they suit them and are sweet names really.

Let me hijack this thread for a moment. You mean rabbit response to their name? I had 3 rabbits, not one ever response to their own name when I call them. Is there some special trick to this?

My neighbour has a dog, he responded even when I called him by his name. But rabbits?

By the way, Bunnster what kind of rabbit is in your icon?

I think Gabbi and Sylvie a GREAT names for your rabbits! I was new to buns last year and this site is my bible! Beware though - the guys on here are so lovely you become addicted!! :wink:

Hope it all goes well Jayne. The RSPCA must have different criteria in each area, cos when I rang up when I was looking for another bunny, they wouldn't consider me cos I have a 3 year old (!?!). I never even got as far as going to see any bunnies. I was a bit miffed, as if they had enquired a bit more they would have found out that I rescued Bunny last year and would have given a rescue bunny a good home. I suppose they are just trying to make sure that the bunnies are safe, so can't moan too much,

I think each RSPCA do have different criteria so just hope we're ok! My girls are 11 and 8 so maybe that made a difference ?! although I know at 3 my two would have been as caring as they are now and also you're not going to leave your 3 year old in charge of them are you! I'm sure you'd have given a rabbit from them a lovely caring home and it's shame they've lost out.We're sticking with their original names now as when we went back yesterday and saw them again they just suit them! These forums and this website have become my bible too! My husband is amazed when I tell him a bit more info on rabbit care which I've got from on here,I think he's beginning to worry I'm actually becoming quite intelligent! Will be back soon with more questions I'm sure.Take care everyone.

Gabbi and Sylvie are wonderful names for buns :D I've had quite a few rabbits over the years and some of them have learnt their names whilst others haven't......... I guess it just depends on the rabbit in question :wink: One of my rabbits, Waffles, used to jump through hoops, fetch balls and come over when you called her name :D

Happy Hopping, the bun in my avatar is my rabbit Karrots who I sadly recently lost :( He was an orange rex and the most beautiful bun I have ever been fortunate enough to be slave to. I miss him so much :(

Lucky you and LUCKY BUNS! I'm sure the home visit will be fine. Keep on RU and tell us all about it (and we love piccies!)

Some rabbits do respond to their nams.

Zeus knows his name but I usually call it when he has done something wrong ;) otherwise he gets called ZuZu or Zeusy-boy :oops:

He used to be very good about coming in for bed when we first got him, we just called him and he came in.

My other rabbits don't appear to respond to their names but I haven't had them since babies like Zeus.

Your new rabbits sound very lucky! We will of course demand piccies when you get them home ;) :lol: !

Caz

Thanks for replying everyone.I suddenly feel like I've gots of new friends! As soon as we get our new bunnies I will attempt the photos! I love looking at everyones and feel like I know you all already! If it doesn't work out with the RSPCA (I'm abit of a pessimist!) we will still rescue some from somewhere as I know we can give them a good home.Obviously we want our 2 as they feel like ours but what will be will be.Have a good week all.

Bunnster said:
Gabbi and Sylvie are wonderful names for buns :D I've had quite a few rabbits over the years and some of them have learnt their names whilst others haven't......... I guess it just depends on the rabbit in question :wink: One of my rabbits, Waffles, used to jump through hoops, fetch balls and come over when you called her name :D

Happy Hopping, the bun in my avatar is my rabbit Karrots who I sadly recently lost :( He was an orange rex and the most beautiful bun I have ever been fortunate enough to be slave to. I miss him so much :(

How many months did it take for your rabbit to learn their name?

Is there any other short words that you teach them to do?

Does female rabbit responses better for training or you teach them their names? Because male rabbit are more naughty and restless.

I'm sorry you losted her rabbit. My one recently passed away too, I know how you feel.

Lucky bunnies!!! I hope they get to come home soon. Keep us updated.

I am newish to the forum too. My Bindi Bunny is very naughty, and where mum is forever telling her not to do things, shes already responding to her name!! (Shes about 4 months now!!)

Gracie and animals x

I've only ever taught any of my rabbits short words and the ones that they seem to pick up are words such as 'no', 'jump', 'goodies' and their name. I think a lot of it has to do with the tone of your voice rather than the actual word as I vary the pitch of how I say certain words. It doesn't take them long to pick it up but you do have to keep at it so that it sinks in. I've had male and female rabbits come to their name so I don't think that sex has anything to do with it.

Happy Hopping, I'm sorry that you recently lost your bunny to :cry:

Back