• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits with cateracts

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
My darling rabbit Poippy is a white Netherland dwarf

I took my Poppy to the vets yesterday because he had a sore eye, the vet gave him drops for this and to put them in everyday.

While I was there I asked him to check him over just so i know whats going on and I had an idea he was going blind because when he is in the kitchen he runs into the table legs! :shock: Anyway he said he is blind in both eyes with cateracts. He said he has never seen cateracts in a rabbit before! Its not as if the vet is young-hes mega old! :D

I was about to say well 'mr vet poppy isant a rabbit hes just looks like one' I thought i had better not! Hes totally not like a rabbit though! He runs freely around the garden most of the day, he always has to be in with a conversation, if were stood in the garage talking he always comes in to see what were doing! He even comes to his name when we shout him! We had a BBQ once and he was begging like a little dog to give him food.

I just wondered if anyone else has a rabbit with cateracts!

Hi, I have several rabbits with cateracts. It is not uncommon and I can't believe a vet has never seen it before. Perhaps he just hasn't seen that many rabbits or hasn't thought to look when examining them :? . Most rabbits cope well with them as they use their other senses well when they lose vision.
Hope she will be ok, she should learn to avoid the table legs, so long as you keep the table in the same place :shock: :roll: :roll: .

She=He! Lol. Poppy is a 'he'.

He seems to be doing fine, its just when things are moved he runs into them! my mum was gardening one day when I was on holiday and she had the wheelie bin to but the waste in and he ran into it! :shock: Silly poppy! other than that though he seems to be doing perfectly fine

I'm sure that Poppy will cope very well and that he will get used to not being able to see as well. Please give him a huge hug from me :mrgreen:

Rabbit eye vision is not like us to begin with. I would let him stay at a location where there is no pole of any kind, and let him live there.

If you take him to the kitchen, just hold him or guide him around so he wouldn't run into anything.

He doesent live in the house anyway he just comes in at night to have a nosey around! He lives in a huge hutch outside! He wa full run of the garden most of the day and manages fine!

Back