• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thinking about rescuing a rabbit

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
I have already a male and female rabbits. If I were to rescue another bunny should I get a male or female? The two I have now live outside in a hutch together and have the run of the garden when I'm at home. I would prefer the rabbit to live outside as not alot of room inside for a big cage. The new rabbit could have its own hutch but would they be ok in the garden together?

i'd go for a female as two boys will often fight (if they are kept with a girl or even around a girl), this isn't to say that girls will definitely get on but there is a much better chance of the three of them bonding. good luck, three are sweet!

I'm sure from your signature you have seen how much bunnies enjoy have company and snuggling up together, mutual grooming etc. Having two bunnies living near by is nice but not the same as having a friend.

It might be possible to introduce a third bunny to your pair. The best way to do this might be taking them along to a rescue and trying it. Then you can test with a boy and a girl to see which works best.

Tam

if they get on alright they can live together but id keep them apart for awhile and keep play with them together when they get used to each other move him/her in .good luck :D

if you are getting another bunny to live outside in the garden in a hutch, cant you get 2 and keep them together.

i just think that it is a shame to keep one bunny on their own.

sophie

hi

When Pepsi died I adopted the 5 girls thinking they would bond - ha ha...The girls instantly attacked Benny and he now hates them and tries to bite them whenever they come near his bit of the patio - It's very time-consuming trying to exercise 2 seperate groups of rabbits, and neither of them has the whole area to run in - Plus Benny has started pooping all over the patio to mark it as his, and likewise the girls! (Gives me a new hobby though)

Luckily plan B - Benny in a cage - seems to be working fine, apart from juggling their patio space - he seems blissfully happy in the kitchen, and loves running up and down binkying in front of the girls on the patio - just to get them worked up I think! :lol:

Good idea to adopt another bunny - it may work out - but have a good plan B which is permanent, just incase they hate each other - If they don't live together as a group they will fight over the garden territory.

I'm still thinking about it at the moment. It makes me sad to think there are unwanted bunnies in rescue shelters but I'm also thinking about the extra time and cost of taking on another rabbit. There are a couple at Redgate that I think are lovely.

Newbold Coleorton. I got Hobbes from a local pet shop and Phoebe from a breeder in Ibstock. Where are you in Leics?

3 bunnies can bond everywell if they feel like it! but on the other hand 3 can be a crowd! one might be left out. you have to think about space too - how big is the hutch for the two you have?

It fairly large but my O/H is in the process of building a rabbit palace which would easily fit 3. My two get on so well I'm a bit worried another rabbit may not be welcome or it would cause trouble. Phoebe is quite stroppy with Hobbes and pushes him around and another female might not like that!

Back