• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

long nails

mummyally

Young Bun
hi well we have had flopsy and mopsy for about 4 weeks now and i noticed today mopsys nails are quite long, how do i go on about getting them trimmed they still wont allow you to pick them up help please they have a plank of wood in the run that they scratch at but don't think its enough to ware the nails down

Hiiya if you take them to the vet they can do this for you until you can pick them up with out difficulty. The vet should be able to show you how to cut them and also there will be two of you to do it or you could get a nurse to hole them whilst it's done XX

hiya I let the vet do my buns nails, though mine are on concrete and have only had to have the trimmed once :D If I have to take any of them the vets for anything I get the vet to check their nails while they are there. Bramble is a total nightmare to hold, so I let the vets struggle and he can sulk with them and not me :lol:

Its a shame u dont live near as i get lots of people brining me there buns for nail clipping as the vets normaly charge. If u have someone to help u they should not be to hard to do as by the look of your rabbits there nails will be white. This means its easy to see the pink quick, just like your own nails. As a rule i would say that if they are visable beyond the hair line on the front of the foot then they need a trim.dont forget the dew claw as i call it like dogs they have another nail on the inside of the leg just above the foot, as long as u dont cut int the hair when doing the nails u should be ok. val

I have always done Evo's nails myself. It ususally takes a few goes, as I do them when he's relaxing, and I can only do a few before he gets annoyed with me. :lol: I have always used the scissor type nail clippers, but recently invested in some guillotine style ones. These are loads easier to use than my old ones, so if you are going to do it yourself, I recommend getting this sort.

I just do it myself. But you know there is blood running down to the nail, up to a certain point. So the best time to do it is in the morning or afternoon under the sun, where you can clearly see how far the blood run till.

And the way I do it is don't be "greedy". JUst cut a little bit, the end of the round part should be just a bit, if the curve is too much then you have to cut some more. And if your bunny let you, then cut all 4 hand/feet nails in one morning, or else do two in the morning and two in the afternoon.

But I only cut a bit at a time, I do his nails once every 2 wk.

If the round part curve down too much towards the ground, that's bad news, because he can trip on it and break the entire nail and causes blood at the broken joint.

Also, his thumb on his hand (front paw), the nail is not long, but that's because it's his thumb, so it is still proportional, you still have to cut it, if you don't, it can break at the joint just like the rest eventhough it's not as long as the other nails.

well just phone a vet near us and they vet nurse will clip the nails and will charge 1 & 1/2 fee buy one get one half price so to speak now all i need is 2 carriers and some trnasport to get them there ,some how don't think the cardboard box's they came to us in and a bumpy bus will do off to ebay........

Back