• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex,Mimi don't let me pat them

Hi My sisther and I have Two babies Lion Head bunnies's named Mimi,Rex I let them out everyday..The problems is I try to pat them They go away from me...the last time I try to tam Mimi when I try to feed food with her hand she sniff on my hand she biting me on my hand what should I do? so I can play with Mimi and Rex

hi

I think you just need to be calm and quiet with these rabbits to let them just look at you and smell you and come and touch you - while you don't touch them at all...Then in a few weeks they will not be so afraid of you.

If you pick them up it makes a rabbit afraid, so try not to pick them up - use a pet carrier for them to jump into if you need to carry them out of their cage - It takes a long time for a rabbit to trust in you as they are nervous animals.

My 5 new girl rabbits will not let me touch them at all - It is going to take me many months I think as they are adult rabbits - Already they are not afraid to come and touch me and be near me - which is a good start!

Are your rabbits both female? If one is male they need to be seperated as they can have babies at a young age.

Try putting them in a room or in their run and sitting quietly reading. They are very inquisitive and will come over to see what you are doing, gradually move or turn over or stretch out your hand slowly so they get used to the fact movement isn't scary and isn't going to result in being grabbed.

It may take a while to build up their confidence but remember never drag a rabbit out of their home - coax them into a carrier or into their run. Don't make loud noises around them until they are are used to you, always speak softly and gently. They love having their noses stroked from front to back (between the eyes). Do this with one finger at first once they start to approach you and use small pieces or herbs or carrots as little bribes to get them to approach you.

Caz

Hi this is me Topaz from Hamsterific!:)

Just remember they are very young and should still be with their mother at their tender age of around 4 weeks so they may be more skittish than an older rabbit. Although just do what has been reccomended here and they should eventually become tame, it may take a while, so be patient. :wink:

At their young age it is almost impossible to tell whether they are male and female, you could have a boy and a girl, you will have to check yourself, you dn't want babies on the way! :shock: There is a sexing diagram on this site, you could do a search for it! :wink:

Skittish just means nervous and not wanting to be patted/caught. :wink:

oh I see My cousin was got bunnies a long time ago from her grandma,The bunnies was used to kept in a yard,next day they find bunnies was a dead is this can be happend?

Rabbits can be frightened easily so if a predator got into the yard it could have scared the rabbit to death. Or it could have caught a disease. In the UK we have myxomatosis and VHD, which you can vaccinate against. If you ask a vet in your country they should be able to tell you if you need to vaccinate your rabbits against any diseases.

Three weeks is very young to be away from their mum they wouldn't have finished needing the mother's milk. I agree it would be hard to sex them accurately at that age too.

Caz

Bunny_Beginner said:
This Rabbit came here since July.16, It's been 3 weeks old.

I missread this post do you mean you have had them three weeks then?

Caz

Yes I had them for 3 weeks It's going to be 4 weeks soon...They are a 6 weeks old It's going to be a 7 weeks old soon...I got a Hay today

Bunny_Beginner said:
Yes I had them for 3 weeks It's going to be 4 weeks soon...They are a 6 weeks old It's going to be a 7 weeks old soon...I got a Hay today

Ooh that's good news - they really do need the hay to prevent them getting tooth problems!

Caz

alfalfa hay is fine for baby bunnies, however it is very high in calcium and therefore is not suitable for adult rabbits, is there any other hay available to you?

Can you get Timothy, meadow, brome, oat or orchard grass where you live? Really alfalfa is only suited to baby bunnies. :wink:

Timothy hay is best, meadow hay is very good for adults too. The greener it is the better and if it smells sweet (not dusty) it is good quality.

Alfalfa is fine until they are 6 months then it can be fed as a treat but they will need a more basic hay.

Edit: Snap Beebop ;) but your fingers are faster

Caz

Back