• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Insurance - with a month free ?

toria

Warren Scout
Hi,
I know this topic has featured a lot and I have read most of it, if not all and still undecided!. Thing is I've aquired a Petplan leaflet from Pets at Home that is slightly different from the one I got from my vets. It says if you quote a reference - which is something like 'pets at home' you get a month free. I know you can get a month free by applying on line too but I wondered what the best way to go about it would be.
I have 2 rabbits, a lionhead and a mini lop. I live in a postal area that isn't too expensive. I've already paid £50 for my lionhead who suffered from Heat stroke in the recent hot weather.(I was doing everything to prevent heat stroke anyway) and I'm worried about my mini-lop is just mad and can't stop jumping around everywhere and up walls and allsorts, she just seems hyper to me! I just can't decide about the insurance or a bank account but I want something for peace of mind.
Thanks. :)

Bare in mind with insurance you'd still have to pay the excess so with a £50 vet bill you may only get £15-25 back. Obviously with higher bills it works out well. You don't have to stick to one or the other though, you could have insurance for 6 months whilst you build up a bank account and then decide whether you want to continue.

Tam

Yeah my area would be £9/month last time I looked and excess was £50 - also they may not cover teeth problems!

Caz

My vets do a scheme of their own where for £5 a month the most you pay for treatment is the consultation fee i.e. all actual treatment and medicine is free. They also include 25% off all vaccinations, dentistry and spaying/neutering. It might be worth seeing if your vet has looked into doing a similar scheme, my rabbit Smokie is going for her medical for the scheme on Wednesday.

Back