• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back from the Vets ... spayed

chinakit

Warren Scout
Well Buttercup and Bluebell have just arrived home from the vets. I've been told to keep them in the house for a couple of days, on towels or clean sheets to prevent infection. Also one of them has a body bandage on, which the vet has told me to take off if it starts to rumple or crease up, or move backwards off the wound. This already happened with the other one, so the vet removed it while I was at the surgery.

I have some Metacam to give them if I think it is necessary, although they have had a pain killing injection and antibiotics at the vets today.

Can anyone offer advice on post-op care? I have given them their water bottles, pellets and a little hay to nibble on, and have put them somewhere quiet with a light blanket over the carriers to keep them dark and fairly warm. Bluebell, although wobbly, is looking interested in the pellets, which is good.

Any advice on how to take care of my convalescing girls is most welcome. When should I put them back in their hutches? They are outdoor hutches but very strong and weatherproof. Also the vet said to avoid shavings until they are fully recovered, so whats best to use? I have some soft shredded paper, would that be ok on top of newspaper? Have also got Megazorb and Aubiose if they would be better.

Please, anyone with knowledge of looking after spayed bunnies, please feel welcome to give advice!

Thanks in advance

Jane xxx

Thanks for the link Mandy, its very helpful. I have printed it out to refer to over the next few days.

Jane

peach is on newspaper with a soft towel to lie one and news paper and hay in the litter tray shes been foe a cheeck up to day and is a bit better

hi

If it's as cold as it seems to be in Sheffield you may need to put the heating on :shock:

Easier for them to drink from a dish too - they don't have to stretch up like with a bottle - and they may find grass and greens more tempting to eat than pellets - only if they're used to them already though - good luck girlies - get well soon :)

Just thought I would post that my 2 girls who were spayed on Thursday are now up and eating really well and back to normal. In fact Bluebell is as grumpy and hormonal as ever ... how long does it take for the bunny PMT to die down after spaying :shock:

hi

Oh brilliant - I'm so relieved as Zinniea's booked in for spaying on Wednesday - she's majorly hormonal now too!

I believe it takes months for the hormones to die down in a rabbit - so I'm sure Bluebell will improve slowly (is that your teeth grinding? :shock: :lol: )

Try having 5 girls with bunny PMT - I don't know what to do next - It's exhausting! :roll:

I was really worried about taking my 2 girls in to be spayed. I was even more woried when Buttercup had not eaten anything by the following morning. However, she eventually decided to eat and now both are fine. They needed Metacam for just one day, now they are absolutely fine.
But I am glad it's over :D

hi

I asked the vets when I booked Zinniea in if I could have some painkillers for after she'd gone home - 'oh no, she won't need any painkillers!' was their response - are they mad?? Maybe the vet will be more sympathetic than the reception nurse - I booked Wednesday so that I could take her back for another shot if necessary - They automatically give antibiotics too - did your vet do this? It seems a bit unnecessary and might upset their tums even more....I think I'll have a few more grey hairs by Christmas :lol:

They gave my two a shot of antibiotics and also a shot if Metacam injectable, I specifically asked for some Metacam to bring home for them afterwards, and the vet was happy to let me have some, although he did say they might not need it. They only needed one dose each, the day after the op, since then they have not looked back.

If I were you I would ask the vet for some at the time you take them in, just to be safe. If the vet refuses, I would look for another vet in future!

Jane

Bunnster said:
Wishing Buttercup and Bluebell a very speedy recovery :D Please give them both a gentle hug from me :D

Hmmm, I will try! Bluebell is back to her normal (hormonal) self though, so if I try hugging her, I will probably get a nip for my trouble! Buttercup is still a VERY nervous and scatty rabbit, I don't think she was treated very well before I got her, but she will come around, given time.

However they both send Bunny Thanks for your best wishes!

Jane xx

peach is back to her narmal self bit me yesterday all becasue i dared get her out of her hutch for some exersise bad mummy i think she will go back out side next week as shes so misable indoors

hi

Poor bunnies - it must be very confusing for them - Little Zinniea's got no idea of the impending ordeal poor baby :(

I will def ask the vet for metacam then - gin will do for me though 8)

i tell you by the time the wate is up woull need a very big gin

i had to phone the vets at 230 picked her up at 430 droped her of at 9am veryyyyyyyylong day shes only just got back to normal some take it beter than others i supose the maticam sure works peach had hers untill yesterday when she went back to her usel noughty self

Back