• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting

anna

Mama Doe
Hi Everyone!

I have a little problem. Dougal, my little strange bun is moulting so badly I want to cry. His coat looks awful. His coat is coming out in chunks, and has been for about two weeks. I've been brushing him every day to help him out, but he is starting to get annoyed. He normally loves being brushed, but hates it now. You can see where the old coat has gone, and where the new coat is growing, but it is taking ages. Ted, my other bun, is moulting too, but seems more normal. I don't remember it ever being this bad.

Is there anything I could do/give him to make him feel better?

Are you sure it's just moulting anna? They can sometimes take ages to moult! My lavender takes about 3 weeks to moult and she always look terreble during and by about week number two hates being brushed which she normally likes! Jack has started moulting this week and it is coming out of him in chunk to he looks very deshevled! have you tried giving him a fav treat after brushing?

My oldest bun went like that too. Are there flakes of skin where the fur is coming off? If there is it could be mites. I got a spray from a pet shop and this cleared it right up! You could also get a special wash from the vets'. (If it is mites!)

Hope that's some help!

this is quite normal and every bunny moults differently strangley enough, some moult lightly and some heavy, think it depends on what sort of coat they have in the first place!

i have a nethie cross here that looks like a scruffy dog for most of spring and summer! :roll: but in late autum gets the most beautful full coat you will see, but at spring he starts again!

i tend to not brush everyday so its doesnt annoy them and if you leave it a couple of days you can do most with your hand instread of a brush over a carrot so they dont even notice you are doing it because by this time it had clumped out!

hi

My pepper has been really bad, worse than any other rabbits ive had in 30 yrs, he is a dutch and this is his first moult ,he is not a year old yet.

I have been quite upset as he has been in such a bad way, he looked like an angora, :lol: all fluffy and ive combed him every day which he loves and I think he actually feels better after, he seems to be.

It does vary and also what type of coat also, he is quite fluffy anyway but his mum is quite smooth but his dad has also got thick dense fur and he also moults bad so he must take after his daddy.

Grooming helps if they tolerate it.

Sweety

My two have been moulting heavily for weeks! Nala had really short fur on her back for ages and it is slowly getting longer again. Simba was moulting heavily but then found he had mites so now he has bald patches so no more moulting for a while :lol: :shock:

hi

Oh No

I must admit, today he has just a bit of fluff on his bum, all the rest loks normal, I did check him for mites but hes ok..

Sweety

Hello again, just thought I would update Dougal's state, I think it is coming to an end finally, the shine has come back to his coat, and he is much happier again. Its still bad around his backend, but he's ok.

It just seemed so bad, in the 18 months I've had him, its never been so heavy! Ted has never moulted like that, and it gets up my nose!

Thanks for your advice, I did think of mites, was already checking for that, but it was just a bad moult!

I always worry so much about my babies!

hi

With the weird british weather, who can blame the poor little bunnies getting confused with their coats, mines a lot better too now..

sweety

2 of mine are in a hevey mult ight now all scruffy its the wether thats done this cant wate until they finish as fur is every where

Back