• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help getting meds into gabriel!

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
its been a week since we were at the vets and i still havnt been able to give gabriel his meds to treat his fungal infection/ringworm!

a few times i have tried soaking his science selective food in water, crumbling it and seeing will he have it but he wont take it. ive even tried doing the same with a bit of forage feast but it didnt really work that well. because he is so young i cant try hiding it in any veggies etc because hes not on veggies yet. the only other thing i can think of is to crush the tablet and mix it with a bit of water and then syringe it, but again that may be difficult. i already syringe his baytril and he doesnt really like me doing that!

please if anyone has any ideas at all, please let me know so that he can start having his treatment!

i also wanted to ask if 0.5mls(1/2 a ml) of baytril is too much to be giving him? my vets told me to give him this once a day but i was scared it was too much and have only been giving him 0.3mls once a day :? he was only on 0.25 mls a couple of weeks back so i thought it was quite a jump.

peach is only on 0.3 of a mil once aday i would check with your vet agine as this does seem a lot ppeach is amedium size lop bun

The dose of baytril is 0.2ml per kg. 0.3ml is not very much at all, a guinea pig can have that much twice a day. My vet said rounding up is better than down. And they can have more if they are really sick. Merlin was on a dose of .9ml twice a day when he weighed 2.3kg for his snuffles. Not that it worked :cry:

I would crush the tablet and put it in water. The best way to syringe something in that they don't like (like baytril :? they hate that) is to kneel on the floor with their back between your legs so they can't run backwards, put your left hand over their head and life up their lip with your thumb, slip in the syringe and squirt.

doorkeeper said:
The best way to syringe something in that they don't like (like baytril :? they hate that) is to kneel on the floor with their back between your legs so they can't run backwards, put your left hand over their head and life up their lip with your thumb, slip in the syringe and squirt.

this is exactly what i do! :D except that my partner holds him facing me so that he cant back up, and then i hold his head with my hand whilst lifting up his top lip, and syringe the baytril in. once the syringe is in his mouth hes quite good and usually just has it-hes never spat it out.

As far as the dosage goes, Gabriel isnt even a kg yet. his last weigh in a few weeks ago he was around the 650g mark, but id say hes put atleast another 100g on since then. so is 0.5mls ok to start giving him?

i shall try crushing the tablet and mixing it with water tonight then-keep fingers crossed that this works!

Back