• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive eye blinking

leesabuntine

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone,
Have just noticed that my bunny seems to be blinkingwith one eye more than the other and is doing frequently.
I have never noticed him blink before so it seems odd that he is blinking more in one eye than the other.
I have looked at him and it looks normal.There is no redness to indicate inflammation,nothing stuck in it so i am at a loss.
The only thing i can think of is one of my cats have pawed him and scratched his eye.If they have would it go un noticed or should there be inflammation/puffiness or any redness?
I am at a loss...so any advice is appreciated.

Leesa.

I don't have any good advice as I haven't seen this before. But I notice one of my rabbit has daily dirt at the corner of his eye, and w/ that rabbit for whatever reason, it is a soft white and slip under neath his eye lips all the time.

So see if there is any dirt under the lower eye lips.

If there is, you can easily move your finger slowly upwards towards the eye lips until the white soft dirt comes out at the edge of his eye lips, and gently move it out w/ your baby finger

Or if there is no dirt, and his eye is blinking, the blinking of the eyes is meant to generate tears, so for whatever reason, his eyes need to generate tears. So what you can do is use Natural Tear Drop, it has to be natural, not things like Visine, a true Natural Tear Drop, for human, is something like Celluvisc, since it is not a chemical, you can drop as many drops as you like.

Dip some 4 times a day and see what happen. The celluvisc has no preservative, so once you open ea. tab, it has about 8 - 10 drops inside, just use it during that day is fine.

For myself, I leave it open for a few days, and that's just me.

Take him to the vet. He might have something ingrowing into his eye or eye damage, or he might have a problem with his eyelid/s. Rabbits blink only occassionally so it is a definite sign of something not right. b-m

Back