• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam and Spaying

chinakit

Warren Scout
Someone mentioned a while back that I should get my bunnies some Metacam for pain relief after spaying.

How much should I give them, and for how long? Also can it be put into the water bottle?

They are in for spaying tomorrow and I need to ask the vet for the Metacam at the time I take them in.

Cheers

Jane

They don't always need metacam.

Twinkle had some after her spay cause it was obvious she was in the pain the next day - however Aggie sailed through her spay and the pain killer that she got att he vets immediately after the op saw her through.

I would ask yourt vet what sort of pain killers your bun will be given in the surgery and then take it from there.

There is no point in giving her metacam if she does not need it - if your vet feels that she will require it then he/she willl advise. As it is a prescription only medicine your vet will have to tell you how much she will need as it goes by weight.

Good luck :D

lol Pam

just got some metacam for peach as she was ovouley in pain shes a lop and has to have 0.3of a mil a day with food so poor litle lady now has to be seringe feed some baby food folowed by the metacam followed by some more baby food followed by some warter as shes not drinking due to pain

When my rabbit was spayed i asked about pain relief but they said they dont give it out.. if she was not eating and therefore likely to be in pain after 24hrs (once the long lasting pain relief htey gave her had run out) that i could take her back or ring them for advice and possible pain relief.

Mine have usually been ok after spaying as the drugs they give them seem to last for 24hrs at least. If you have got any problems give me a ring.
Kayx

hi

I think most vets prefer you to take the bunny back to surgery if it's struggling to cope once the 24hour anaesthetic wears off - they can give it another injection then and sub-cu fluids if the bunny hasn't drunk anything either. It's worth asking for metacam though!

Back