• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in Urine

Fluffybunny

Warren Scout
Had my 5yr old doe out on the shed floor tonight while I was feeding, put her bowl down as she was getting stressed that she hadn't been fed, when I pick her up to put her back in I notice a pool of blood from where she was sitting to eat. Had a check on her no nails ripped and no blood on her - which would suggest it was in her urine.

Now i've seen orange urine from carrots and such-like in the past, but this was red.

Am I right in thinking an infection of bladder or womb (pyometra?)?? If so what is the outcome for her?

Just wondered if anyone on here had had the same thing :?

Thanks

I've seen some really redish wee from my bunnies before, are you sure there was blood in it? It's difficult to suggest anything without seeing it!!!

I have seen blood from a sore hock before...were her feet ok? Also, I'm pretty sure that I read soemwhere that blood in the urine shows as red streaks in the wee, rather than just red wee....don't quote me on that though. :?

Feet fine, and it was definitely a pool of blood rather than streaks in urine. :?
She hadn't had any carrots before hand - and I know my orange wee from this dark red pool :cry:

She is going to the vets tomorrow morning (the earliest we could get an appointment), lets hope they can tell me what it is :(

If it's a womb infection then the treatment is usually spaying. Did you tell your vet what the problem was? If it's actyually blood then I'd consider it quite urgent and our vets would usually squeeze us in somewhere.

Tam

The secretary asked what the problem was but no more was said. The appointments today are all before 6.00 while my parents are still at work.

Is she too old at 5 for a spay? Taking into account the complications which would not have already been there in a normal situation.

What can I do in the mean time to make her comfortable?

Rachel

Is there no way you could get her to the vets on a bus/ train/ taxi? If my bun was bleeding I'd demand to be seen ASAP and go to a different vet if they wouldn't fit me in!!!

5 isn't too old Violet was done at four and your bunny is only one year older! As long as the vet feels the rabbit is up to the operation then age is no barrier.

I always thought blood in the urine was drops rather than the whole thing being red. Zeus has done a very red wee before - pillar box colour and I never found out why. Try and get a sample to the vets - they have a dipstick they can test for blood with.

Good luck!

Caz

She isn't to old at 5 to be spayed as I had one at this age spayed and she was ill at the time. I would however get her to the Vets asap can you not phone them and tell them the situation.

touie said:
Is there no way you could get her to the vets on a bus/ train/ taxi? If my bun was bleeding I'd demand to be seen ASAP and go to a different vet if they wouldn't fit me in!!!

Ditto. That's exactly what I did w/ my bunny 6.5 yr. ago when there was an emergency.

Unless she eats some exotic weed which could generate reddish urine, then it is normal. If not, and you're quite sure it is blood, get a sample of that blood when you see the vet for analysis. Blood test is cheap. Only $60 here in North America.

If it's a problem with her womb then the solution tends to be spay or put to sleep so its worth going ahead any way as if the bun dies under the anesthetic it doesn't make any difference to being put to sleep and atleast they got a chance.

It's more likely that it's just coloured wee if she looks clean underneath.

Tam

She's had no more of this blood, however she is still going in the morning. Other people have suggested it may be a bladder infection like cystitis which has been cleared up with antibiotics. I am hoping it is just this.

Hi, The vet couldn't feel any lumps which was good - she has come home with a 5 day course of baytril to clear any infection, and is good as gold at taking it :)
Thanks for all who gave help :D

Back