• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Are ribbit droppings in the house ok?

Rex Rabbity

Warren Scout
We try to give our rabbit as much stimulation as possible. It is in it's run twice a day and we let in indoors to have free roam of the kitchen and living room for a couple of hours in the evening. We try to get it to poo in it's tray, but it mostly poos anywhere! The poos are like maltesers and are easy to clean up. We like to keep a very clean and germ-free house. Is it safe to let the rabbit run free like this and clean up after it when it poos? It has not yet had a wee indoors, fingers crossed!

flopsy.gif

It's marking it's territory at the moment! Just keep picking up the poos and putting them in the tray and hopefully it will stop soon! :D If it's weeing as well perhaps you could put extra litter trays in those spots!!!

hi

I wouldn't expect miracles from such a baby rabbit - just put a few more litter trays around in likely places like corners of the room - The larger the area to roam the more difficult it is for them to remember to go to the tray - When I got 5 new rabbits last week they weren't litter trained and would poo at least a dustpan full at the end of an hour's running out time - so I put 2 litter boxes outside for them too, and they do it all in the boxes now - They didn't seem to realise to run back to the shed to poop in their trays.

I've been really lucky with Splodge then, he's used a litter tray since he was 6 1/2 weeks old :D :angel: the only time he poops on the floor is if one of the other bunnies has left one there first! :shock: I have a few territorial issues in my house at the moment! :shock:

When Squishie first started running around our kitchen she would poo everywhere, I would find them all over but now she rarely does it and I think its because she is satisfied that its her territory. She is now spayed but this wa before hand.

hi there as IT got a name? :D

good luck with trying to litter train they do full in line quite quickly if you proide lots of litter trays!

Hiya,

As bunnies are vegetarians it's much more hygenic than cat/dog poop. Most of those currents are bits of undigested fibre. If you break one apart you'll see the bits of hay in it. As far as I know there is nothing you can catch from bunny poop.

He might just need more practice at using his litter tray, putting any he does in to it will help him get the idea. As he gets abit older you might find he loses what training he's gained as his hormones kick in and some bunnies go mad on territorial marking. Neutering usually solves this though. You probably won't get him 100% trainned until after he is neutered.

Tam

Back