• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP!

kt_baby9

New Kit
Hi,

Can anyone help me please? I have two rabbits and the youngest is under a year old. Today he was sat in my lap when a neighbour's dog started to bark and he panicked. He fidgeted and scratched to try and get away but eventually I managed to calm him down. I noticed blood spattered on his face and my jacket and realised one of his back paws has snapped clean off. I'm an inexperienced rabbit owner and have no idea what to do. Can anyone help me please?

Thanks

If it is his claw dip it in some flour this will stem the bleeding whilst you get to the vets

Yes, his claw has snapped off and I don't have any idea when I will be able to get him to a vets. I'm really worried about him and thanks for the tip about the flour, I'll try this out!

Thanks

You need to try to stop the bleeding, the flour should help with this. Snapped claws are usually ok but he will need to see the vet. If and when the bleeding stops you will need to thouroly clean the area with a very mild antiseptic you can use warm salt water and then apply some savlon just make sure that bunny doesn't lik it off. He doe nee dto see the vet ASAP!

hi

Oh phew - it's his claw (my imagination) - yes just dip it in cornflour or flour to stop the bleeding, and bathe it like Phill says in salt water - you can buy vetzyme antibacterial powder in pet shops for stuff like this as you mustn't let it get infected. hope he gets better soon!

Snapped claw is quite common, snapped paw is very very wrong ;)!

Just dip the claw in plain flour if you haven't got cornflour and as long as the bleeding stops you don't have to see a vet. Just check it to make sure it is healing and hasn't got infected.

Caz

Thank you for all of your help! Parsley is back to his cute self, thank god! :D

Sorry about the mistake in my first post, frantic typing from a worried bunny mummy!!!

Thanks again!

Back