• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying / Castrating ... a simple question

chinakit

Warren Scout
I am getting my female rabbits spayed on Thursday. How long does it take them to recover fully from the operation? How long should I leave it before I put castrated bucks with them?

One of my bucks will not be castrated for another few weeks as he's not quite old enough. When I get him done, would I be able to put him straight in with a spayed female (after a couple of weeks to recover from his op of course)?

Sorry for all these posts!!!

Chinakit
Jane

Females usually fully recover between 5-10 days you can put a male straight in with a spayed female but it can take up to 6 weeks for there hormones to die down you would have easier bonding if you waited until then XX

OK, so will leave it a month to 6 weeks then, thanks Phill.

By the way your rabbits are lovely. Are they ALL your rabbits on the signature? Thats a LOT of bunnies! :lol:

Jane

I just looked at your website Phill, it's lovely how you keep your rabbits. I have only a very tiny garden, so mine have to live in (big) hutches, but they do get time outside to run and play. You're lucky having so much space for all your buns.

Jane xx

Thanks jane they only have the space they do cause we have a big garden if we didn't they wouldn't have the space and i wouldn't have so many buns. XX

Back