• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Breeding

On the male no, it would have quite a big impact on the female though. Where did you get your lad? What do you know about his parents and their parents? Unless the answer is their full medical history then your lad could well be carrying something in his genes like teeth problems which would be passed on to the babies even though he seems fine.

There are rabbit STD's too so if the female had syphillis she could pass it on to the male.

Tam

the breeder (established) that i got him from is interested in mating him before I have him neutered. Its not a contracted thing, just if Im ok with it, I dont forsee any problems just was making sure that it wouldnt upset him...

i met mum dad, most likely gparents! adn bros and sisters etc....

I just dont want to do anything that might upset him....

sarattie said:
the breeder (established) that i got him from is interested in mating him before I have him neutered. Its not a contracted thing, just if Im ok with it, I dont forsee any problems just was making sure that it wouldnt upset him...

i met mum dad, most likely gparents! adn bros and sisters etc....

I just dont want to do anything that might upset him....

whats the beneit of letting someone breed from him, other than more rabbits to find homes for!

mmmmm.... tricky one. Shes a great Breeder and I know that they will either be kept shown, or good homes found. She wants to pass on his superb genes before I snip!

I do agree with bunnylove, but it is a personal choice. I dont see the point of making more rabbits in the world when there are already millions that need homes, but there are a few breeders on this site and I respect them completly for their decision!

It is up to you, but just make sure you know everything you need to know before you breed! If you have any questions we are here to help :D

well she kind of didnt, when she said i could have him as a house bun, his butterfly was mismarked, which is why she wasn't keeping him for showing. Once it had grown out, it was too late to let me down as I was too excited!! So I had him.

I dunno that it will make much difference to the population, presumbably if you say no she'll just use a different buck.

Is she keeping the doe/babies there or are you having a lady bun come and stay with you?

Tam

I would take him to her, would he have to stay long? I dont really have the experience though wouldnt that be great!!!

Oh, she's using him for breeding? If you do decide to do that, she would probably only keep him for a couple days, because she just needs him for the breeding.

yer, see theres the bit that puts me off..... I couldt be without him for a couple of days :(

so I guess It will likely be a no then!

his butterfly was mismarked, which is why she wasn't keeping him for showing.

I really don't like it when people give there animals away when they are no good for showing - I have a big problem with that :x So what if an animal isn't "good enough" for showing he/she still has feelings. I know people that give there "ex showing" dogs away when they are past it! Its cruel.

Toby said:
his butterfly was mismarked, which is why she wasn't keeping him for showing.

I really don't like it when people give there animals away when they are no good for showing - I have a big problem with that :x So what if an animal isn't "good enough" for showing he/she still has feelings. I know people that give there "ex showing" dogs away when they are past it! Its cruel.

Sorry Emma.. i dont quite see how it is cruel to find new homes for animals that are no good for showing. The breeders i have spoken to ensure the homes are very good before rehoming them and they go as pets so therefore will get lots of attention.

i just realised who u r on about. she seens a very good breeder and she might only need hime for a coulpe of hours, depends on how willing the doe is and if he shows interest.
As for selling on rabbits that dont quite make it to showing, i dont see anything is worng as u cant keep them all anyway so have to go on to new homes and there no ponit in keeping a breeding rabbits that dont quite make breed standard for example is u have some lops and there ears didnt lop then there no point breeding with it a cause the next lot will have no lop ears either
becky

Back