• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pubic hair trimmers?

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya,

I've in my care at the moment a bunny that is really quite matted, that could do with shaving down a bit. I have an electric pubic hair shaver, would this be ok to use do you think? I thought it would be much more gentle then my boyfs hair clippers as it's made for sensitive area and are quite small?

PS I wont use them again :lol:

You need to be really careful as bunny skin is paper thin and very loose so can easily be pulled up into the fur instead of laying flat like human skin.

I don't know enough about shaving bunnies. Most people I've talked to have said it's very difficult and most trimmers can't cope with angora style fur. I know vets do it but I dunno what the difference is in their trimmers.

I very much doubt anyone has tried those before :lol: So the only way would be to try it very carefully.

Tam

Tree said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

tre i have a lop here that is very fluffy his fur is not wirey like the other lops, he chins the water bottle alot for what ever the reason, :shock:

and his back side getts real matted, so when i got hi i took him to the vet and they sorted him out, he very rearly gets matts now cause i do him daily but when he does get on i nip him to the vets and they sort it out in second, could you not try this!?

eve x

It's Adeles bunny I was going to do it for shes very sore from her mats, she came from Redgate, I would do but my vets bills are kind of high already. I could leave her until Adele gets her, but like I say she's very sore.

I will have a little go, if I cause her any discomfort I will stop, I just need remove the worse the mats go right up to her skin.

I would just very carefully trim them out Tree, as Tamsin says there skin is paper thin and can get caught. I had the Vets trim Jacks belly as it was all stuck together and he was not happy when we tried to cut them out. You can get quite close to the skin just be careful! :D

I have used nose hair trimmers on voles and field mice before. These are designed not to pull and may be easier to manipulate.

Caz

Tree said:
It's Adeles bunny I was going to do it for shes very sore from her mats, she came from Redgate, I would do but my vets bills are kind of high already. I could leave her until Adele gets her, but like I say she's very sore.

when is she going to adele? do the best you can but i would not shave her tree, i am sure she will be fine until she getts to adele, adele has experience with angoras dosnt she!

We have some nose hair trimmers somewhere, I'll have to dig them out.

:shock: tree are you setting up a hair trimming shop, you and your boyf must be like hairless moles with the variety of trimmers you have!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

p.s. are those bikini ones any good, I wanted to try them but chickened out :lol:

:lol: i thought i,d read "pubic" .. lol
on a different note - i remember when I tried to wax for the first time them bottled it . The wax was stuck to me for weeks afterwards and i stuck together whenever I walked ... i just didn,t have to balls to pull the wax strip off in one go so i edged it away gently . :lol: never ever again .

thought i,d read "pubic" .. lol
on a different note - i remember when I tried to wax for the first time them bottled it . The wax was stuck to me for weeks afterwards and i stuck together whenever I walked ... i just didn,t have to balls to pull the wax strip off in one go so i edged it away gently . never ever again .
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did a similar thing to my poor long suffering John, convinced him if I had to then so did he!!! :p baby oil helps remove the wax if you find yourself in that situation again! :lol: :lol:

This conversation is too close to the bone (literally) :lol: :lol: :lol: I was going to suggest nose trimmers ir hair thinning scissors which are totally blunt at the end.

I have shave my rabbit several times a year. If a rabbit's leg (under part) becomes matted, you have to shave it, there is no choice, because if it is matted, their skin can't breathe, but by shaving it, the new ones will grow.

Other parts of their body if the fur were matted, should be shaved as well, but it is not that urgent.

I just use a electric hair clipper, and slowly trace thru the skin and shave it a bit at a time. Just make sure you hold on the skin and move the shaver upwards or downwards slowly.

The only problem I find, is not the "skin got easily pull up into the fur" as what Tamsin said, rather, the electric hair clipper jammed as so much fur stuck at the front end.

A trimmer is probably too light of an application.

:lol: :lol: How did I know that when i seen the thread involving the words pubic heair trimmer that it would be by Tree??!!!! :lol: :lol:

Cant you trim the fur with some rounded edge scissors Tree? I've managed to keep my Angora Ted mat free just using scissors and a slicker brush.

I wouldn't dare use an electric trimmer on a rabbit especially an Angora as the skin seems to be even more delicate then short hair Rabbits.

It may be an idea just to leave it to Adele as she will have come across this problem before and has heaps of experience with Angoras.

Louise

Back