• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding

I use shavings and barley straw in the hutches. However, my bunnies don't sleep in them. :roll: The hutches are in a permanent run and they prefer to sleep on top of a hutch, even in winter. :?

I use shavings too and newspaper. But my parents keep moaning as the shavings are messy and get all over the floor!!

Would hay and newspaper be okay do you think?

Treacle and Fudge have moved outdoors this summer and i tried to use hay for their bedding, but they just used it as a giant litter tray! :shock: I've now bought some vet bed for them and so far they haven't weed on that!!! I'm not sure what to put in there when the weather starts to get colder though! I might put some old duvet covers and pillowcases that Niamh has chewed through for them to snuggle up in!

The outside buns have shavings and shredded paper for bedding in summer and shavings and a mix of shredded paper and hay in winter but they never sleep in there hutches, there perenatly open and they tend to sleep outside even when it's cold!

hi

If you put the newspaper, litter and hay in a deep-sided underbed type storage box then the rabbit can sit in the box and do all it's wee/poop - the rest of the floor can just be bare - As they like toileting whilst eating hay, just put the hay in a 'toilet' for them :D

Wood's a bit of a pain to sweep bunny fluff off though, so you could paint the floor or put vinyl tiles on it maybe?

Thanks alot for that :)

I was just wondering if anyone uses just hay...no shavings you see. Charlie is litter trainned, but i keep getting moaned at about the shavings on the floor! :)

Mine have newspaper over all of the hutch and then shredded paper in the sleeping area. With only newspaper and shavings then in the litter tray. :D

It would be fine for you not to use shavings Sarah-Jane - we don't - just newspaper with hay on top.
We find it's much quicker and easier to roll up the newspaper and hay everyday then put clean in. Shavings tend to get everywhere.

I might change to just newspaper and hay too. At the moment I use shavings and hay, but the shavings do get everywhere.

However ..... if I put newspaper in my hutches, the bunnies tear it up, dig it up, chew it up ... is there any way to stop them doing that?

Jane

I'm wondering what else I can put in Treacle and Fudge's shed to keep them snuggly now! They have a litter tray filled with woodbased litter and hay! But anything else I put in there they seem to wee on! :( I've tried a towel to snuggle on, vet bed, and a hay area but they just used each as a toilet! I can't understand it as they were quite clean when they were house bunnies!? :?

hi

I'm never going to worry about 'snuggly' again after what Phill said :lol:

Let's face it - if they're freezing they can lie in their litter tray :)

Thats a good point, I'll just put extra hay in the tray then!!! :D I guess they'll grow some nice thick winter coats and snuggle up together if they're cold!!! :lol:

hi

Bare floor - cosy litterbox!

cosy.jpg

I need to get a higher sided tray like that! I have a large cat tray at the moment, but yours looks much cozier! :D

hi

I used these boxes totally by chance when I got my boys - I was storing all my 'bunny stuff' in them before and left them in the shed for the boys to play in - only they used them as toilets (they'd never been litter trained before) - so I was really pleased not to have to clean the floor every day!

They've worked instantly with the girls I adopted last week too (I've got piles of clothes waiting in my bedroom now as they nicked my boxes!) - except for Petunia, who doesn't seem to know what her back legs are for - she just can't climb in! So she has an underbed storage box with sides about 6 or 7 inches only - they make a right mess digging the litter out of that shallow box though :roll:

donna-arc said:
It would be fine for you not to use shavings Sarah-Jane - we don't - just newspaper with hay on top.
We find it's much quicker and easier to roll up the newspaper and hay everyday then put clean in. Shavings tend to get everywhere.

Thanks alot for that Donna, think i'll just use hay from now on and paper :)

Yeh the shavings are a right nightmare!

I changed the bedding recently and used hay, but the only thing is that Charlie isn't using his litter tray as often as he used to! Doh!

Back