• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

peach

kim 106

Mama Doe
peach is getting spayed tomorow so just a cople of questions for you all

1what is the best bedding for her

2 how long should i keep her indoors for after the op

3 should i take some of her food and hay with me

4 what should i do to keep her comfortable

ok more than a copple of qestions but want to get every thing right so nevous now going to be a reck tommorow

When Niamh was spayed she was dropped off in the morning and picked up just after lunch so I don't think she was there long enough for them to feed her!

I kept her in an indoor cage on vet bed and just used newspaper in the tray and changed it everytime she weed!!!

I think she was out of sorts for a couple of days afterwards then back to her usual self!

She had quite a neat little wound and no stitches! In Niamh's case I think she's haVE BEEN OK OUTSIDE AFTER A COUPLE OF DAYS, BUT IT DEPENDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL RABBIT! Oops didn't realise I was shouting! :oops:

I always leave mine with a little packed lunch so the vet can offer their favourite foods right after the op to get them eating again.

I didn't bother doing anything different about the bedding just made sure the cage was clean. Some vets recommend keeping them off hay but my vet said as long as there was an area they could lay without hay it was fine to leave it in their litter tray.

I kept Athena in her cage for 24 hours but after that I let her out as normal.

My vet gives a long lasting pain relief injection to keep them happy for 48 hours after the op, some vets prefer to give metacam you can dose orally if needed.

Caz

1what is the best bedding for her

Its best to use the shredded paper type bedding because it is nice and soft and wont stick to the wound like shavings can.

2 how long should i keep her indoors for after the op

Depends on the bunny, just one day and night will do if 1)shes not likely to charge about in hutch or play roughly with friends 2)its not really(unseasonally) cold 3)shes not drowsy from anesthetisc and more and you are happy with the wound.

3 should i take some of her food and hay with me

Yes, rabbits should be allowed to eat and drink right up to and straight after the op- it can cause more problems for them not to.

4 what should i do to keep her comfortable

Other than the above just keep her somewhere quiet, safe and not too hot or cold until she has recovered fully from anesthetic. Then check her a few times each day to make sure wound is knitting, shes not worrying it and its not being attacked by flies. Beyond that dont do much with wound so she doesnt have her attention drawn to it and start licking it.

Hope this helps- and dont worry, she'll be fine!

Back