• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

thorn!

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Just found what looks like at least a one inch thorn sticking out of Splodges neck! :shock: and it's scabbed over where its in his skin! Should I try to pull it out with tweezers myself or would it be better for the vet to pull it out? I don't want to hurt him!!!

I'd noticed a scab there a few days ago but nothing sticking out so it must have been in there a while! I'm thinking that his body's started to push it out! :shock: :?

If there was a foriegn body in a human you'd pull it out to prevent further infection. I think the same principle may apply to a rabbit but its your call.

Better out than in tho

um i would take him to the vet asp as you dont know how long its been there and hoe deep it is plus i hes got an infection hell need anibotics to clear it up

Yep I would pop him to the vet, as thorns can cause infections and abcesses. Pippa had one in her foot at the beginning of the year, I didn't realise until, like you, I saw something sticking out. I pulled it out + took her to the vet, unfortunately it had abcessed so she had to have an op. Hopefully a course of antibiotics is all that is needed for your bun!

It looks like it's just under the surface about an inch under the skin, it has scabbed over but no puss so don't think it's infected yet, i'm going to see if my mum will pop round for a look!

I just had a little go with the tweezers but it wouldn't budge so off to the vets in the morning! :(

Back