• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sorry its a bit gross but help needed!!!

sarattie

Alpha Buck
I've Had Harvey now for a while as you know and hes settled in great.

Trouble is he is doing unusual poos!!

now he does do the regular ones, but sometimes these are produced (well quite alot) and he doesnt eat them so i dont think its the eaty type ones????

Dsc01720.jpg

he is fed on (what i think is) A&P Herb adn Fibre which is what he was fed from the start. he has daily cabbage, carrot, small apple slice, baby corn and broccoli.

is this normal??

He is using his litter tray for wee wee which is great, but these poos are appearign everywhere!!!!!

They look like the eatey type ones to me!!! :shock: Perhaps he is producing to many for him to eat! ?

They look like the eaty type ones to me too. Do they smell quite strong?

Sometimes if they get a diet that is too rich then they don't eat the poos they should.

Maybe try cutting out the veg and trying him on the hay and pellets only? Or some people find that changing to a different type of pellet helps.

Yeah definately the ones they are meant to eat. You can put them in the food bowland he might still eat them but thats up to you.

yeo definitely his diet is too rich, take away his dried food and just feed him hay for a few days and try introducing the dried food gradually and you will then know how much he is to be given befre he prduces too many caestrophs :D

Just because they are eatable doesn't mean he has to eat all of them.

By the way, you could have put those poos on a piece of paper instead of your hand when you take the photo. Just a thought. :D

:lol: :lol: I know!! I picked them up off the carpet to throw away and then I had the idea of taking a pic to ask you all what they were, and by then couldnt be bothered to transfer them!!!

At least you get a guage of the size of them!!!! ha ha ha!! :lol:

Happy Hopping said:
Just because they are eatable doesn't mean he has to eat all of them.

By the way, you could have put those poos on a piece of paper instead of your hand when you take the photo. Just a thought. :D

if they are being left their diet is too rich it is a fact :thumb:

Hiya - yep there's loads of good advice here for you but along with other posts I think he's diet is a little too rich and normally if you take your bunny back to basics and pop him onto just good quality fresh hay, you'll be suprised in the difference just in a matter of days.

If your bunnies gut flora is correct, in a healthy bunny you won't see any soft excess eatable poos at all, although sometimes stress can do this - Zac can over produce sometimes just when he's stressed but its generally very occassional and then he's back to normal.

Might also be worth investing in some Probiotic to keep in too which is handy to restore gut flora for bunsters.

Hope this helps.

Set aside the stress factor, you guys are saying whenever a rabbit produces soft eatable poos, they are supposed to eat them ALL?

So is the reverse true too? IF they don't need to eat the soft eatable poos, their body would not produce it?

Is there a certain fix time of the day that their body produce it?

hi

they produce these poops about 4 hours after eating a 'meal' - I give my boy his pellets at 7.30am and see him eating poop at 11.30am - They will do this for about 4 hours and need to be left in peace to do it - If you give them pellets in the evening (as most people seem to) they will eat them at night....They eat them all if they are healthy and on a correct diet.

Hello,

we have three buns and one of them (Muppet) has just started producing some just like this. Although by the time i get home he has squashed them into the carpet :shock: ! We have only had him 6 weeks or so, but i was careful to introduce the food changes carefully. I notice that in some posts it says remove greens, but another says dried food. which is best? And how do i do this when all three eat together, and the other two are fine?
Any advice gratefully received :D

Hiya,

Could you tell us a little more about you bunny, how old is he/they? What's his current diet? What brand of pellets are you using? And how much of the different things does he eat?

Tam

Re: hi

elve said:
I give my boy his pellets at 7.30am.
i have a 5 month old bunny and he has hay out all day and pellets out all day and few greens each day. is that ok? should i not have pellets out all day? but hes justa baby at what age should i monitor intake?

Another possible cause of excess caecotrophs (the grape like poo) is being overweight as they can't bend to eat them (older buns might have arthritis, which can have the same effect). Sometimes tooth problems can also make eating them difficult.

If your bun is of normal weight, with good dentition and you've seen him eat them (the look of concentration/pleasure, like when we eat chocolate usually gives them away ........ but for the record, I don't keep my chocolate in the same place :lol: :lol: :lol: ) then it is probably his diet.

I you reduce carbs and increase fibre as the others have said it will work for a rich diet or an overweight bun.

It is very important that rabbits are able to eat their caecotrophs, so if you haven't seen him eating from there keep an eye on him, a healthy bun will lean forward to eat them between his back legs (though you shouldn't see more than the pleasured chewing) and an overweight bun will sometimes turn around quickly to eat them while still fresh.

jacquie said:
Hello,

we have three buns and one of them (Muppet) has just started producing some just like this. Although by the time i get home he has squashed them into the carpet :shock: ! We have only had him 6 weeks or so, but i was careful to introduce the food changes carefully. I notice that in some posts it says remove greens, but another says dried food. which is best? And how do i do this when all three eat together, and the other two are fine?
Any advice gratefully received :D

If all 3 of them are less than 6 mth., just don't feed them w/ soft green, only pellet, hays, a bit of treats and no fruit. Dried fruit is fine though.

If 1 of them is less than 6 mth. old, the others are not, don't feed any one of those rabbits w/ green or fruit neither, wait till the last one turns his 6 mth. old birthday, and start feeding all 3 w/ small amt. of green and gradually goes from there.

hi

I'm not an expert on baby bunnies as all mine were adult rescues - but I believe they're supposed to have 'unlimited' dry mix for the first 6 months or so - However I wouldn't leave a full bowl around as I think it's better to feed them more frequent meals rather than one big one...Even with my adult bunnies I split their 2 spoons of pellets up into 2 meals - most in the morning then the half spoon left in the evening - so I don't feel mean switching off the lights and leaving them :lol:

With my 5 girls in the shed I usually find at least 3 uneaten caecal poops - I don't think this is because I feed them too much as they hardly have any pellets and eat mostly hay, with a small amount of veg/grass once or twice a day, and they're all young and not arthritic or fat...I think when they are in a group they tend to get distracted more from their 'business' - I've seen them outside trying to eat a poop and one of the other girls will come and interrupt - there's no way of telling who's leaving them when there's 5 :?

HH I know this was a problem with your last bunny and I've just remembered that he was a giant bunny - they often are a bit arthritic and find bending round there a bit difficult, so maybe that's one contributing factor there?

Yes I think that is a good point I think that bunnies get distracted and forget to eat the Caestrophs! Ever since I put Bino and Poppet together he is totally obsessed with her! So I do find a few of these poops and I know their diet is not too rich! :D

Hello,

muppet is about 15 months old and i collected him from Tracy about 6 -8 weeks ago. I feed all of the buns about 2 tablespoons each of Suparabbit excel light , which i slowly introduced Muppet to. They aren't over weight, but when we got Jess she had a wee bit of a chin and Harvey was getting quite big so we switched to that( all about 18 months ago). The vet says they are all perfectly healthy and not overweight but i just haven't swapped them back. I also feed them veg ( carrots,salad,kale) in the morning and a wee bit again at night.
They have a constant supply of hay as well, which Harvey and Muppet hardly every stop eating. I also let them run in the garden as often as possible , and muppet eats the grass/clover constantly when he goes out. There are a few weeds in the lawn but the only plant they can reach is a clematis but they don't go near that ( i always watch them). I wondered if it was just that they had been in the garden so much lately, if he had just had too many greens ? Harvey and Jess are fine, but they don't constantly eat when they go out. Sorry its a bit long! :D

Back