• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A few questions..

josephine

New Kit
Ok. I have a 9 month old dwarf lop house rabbit called Ben. He has been neutered and lives in my bedroom primarily and has run of the house, (he seems to hate going outside recently, maybe because of the temprature). He only goes into his crate at night time.

I have recently been wanting to get him a female friend. My first question would be is bonding easier with a youger rabbit (8-10 weeks) or with a more adult rabbit around the same age/older than ben?

I would have two cages in my room but would if be wise to introduce them (if i opt for a younger rabbit who would obviously not been neutered) if the female has yet to be neutered? And after bonding would they be ok living in the same cage even if the female wasn't neutered till the recommended age?

Also I have heard that some female rabbits can be vicious/moody? Ben is extremely friendly and I am worried that I might not be able to cope with a vicious rabbit and I am not really familiar with how females behave if different from a male rabbit. I would like to be aware of some of the common personality attributes.

And how long does bonding primarily last. I know it depends on each rabbit but there must be a sort of medium.

I think thats it for now lol I will probably be back with more questions. But thankyou so much for any help that can be given

Ben sounds like a fab bunny! If you are planning on getting him a girl friend then you should adopt a spayed female. Other than that it doesn't matter on age. I say this because when does are spayed it can take a month+ to fully recover. That amount of time would break the bond between a pair.

Female rabbits have a few behavioral differences then males. Males are geerally more affectionate but females still make fantastic pets. Moody/vicous females are usually not neutered or have been abused. Other than that females are usually a little more shy when you first adopt them.

Bonding will last for the rabbits entire lifetime, assuming nothing extremely stressful happens (being seperated for an extended period of time, etc.). Bonding a pair can take several months though.

Hope I have helped you!

I would say the easiest option for you would be to take your little boy to a few local rescues and get them to introduce him to potential girlfriends in a neutral space. That way he should be able to pick a girlfriend that he likes and it will make the bonding process a whole lot easier. Some rescues will even offer to keep your boy in for a few days till they are completely bonded.

Not all females are vicious, they mainly get that reputation because if left unspayed they become very territorial and get mood swings so when you try and go near their hutch they may lash out or grunt at you. I have two females, one is aggressive even though spayed (the rescue thinks she was abused) but the other is an absolute angel and extremely affectionate (she licks me and none of my others do even Zeus, whom I had from a baby).

If you find a rescue that spays it will be a lot easier as you can begin bonding straight away (so may be better to go with a rabbit 6 months or older) after the initial introduction looks good. If the female isn't spayed it is best to get her done straight away then leave her to recover in a cage beside your boy's so they get used to each other being around until she is well enough to begin bonding.

Bonding usually takes the longest with rabbits that have never met before and may not immediately like each other, it can takes months then. If you find a girl where they both appear to like each other from the start it can take weeks or even days, occasionally only hours!

The age doesn't really matter when choosing a suitable friend it is the personality of the rabbit, I have a two year old male with a slightly older doe and a four year old doe with an 18month old male.

They should be alright to live in the same cage once bonded as long as there is enough space for the two of them to stretch out and run around a bit (if they are both to be left out during the day). You may have to consider that the female you adopt could be a chewer so you may want to get a crate that is large enough to live in when you are not there to supervise. Every rabbit is different and some do like to chew more than others.

Caz

Back