• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

are they ok?

touie

Wise Old Thumper
Well Treacle and Fudge have been outside buns for just over a week now, they started off fine but I'm a little concerned now about their eating habits! :?

Usually they are really greedy, I put down 50g of pellets in the morning and the same in the evening and it is usually gone within 5 minutes! :shock: But since they've been outside they have only been getting through half that amount! they are still eating their veggies and are quite lively, though I've noticed that many od their poos seem to be much smaller too!

What could be causing this change in behaviour? Do you think it could be the stress of being kept outside? :?

Do they have access to grass all day now? I have cut down on the pellets mine get as when they are on grass they don't eat as much (better that way round though).

Caz

They don't have anymore access now they're outside than they did before as the run is positioned on the patio! Before I moved them into the shed they were outside all day then brought in for night, so I thought they'd be quite used to it out there! They haven't touched their pellets or water today either!

That does seem a little odd. I can't think of any reason at the moment, when Zeus went off pellets it was due to teeth problems and then stasis but he had other symptoms like sitting hunched up and grinding his teeth.

Caz

hi

I would get them straight to the vets and have them treated for stasis - this is classic early signs - probably due to stress of living outside like you say as they get into a habit and it unsettles them to have a change - maybe they got more attention off you when they were in the house?

Don't wait another day either - I guess it's too late to see anything but an emergency vet now on a Sat - ask for subcutaneous fluids, painkiller and metaclopramide to get their guts moving again - and they will need to be force fed with mushed up pellets by syringe, unless you can tempt them with some wet grass or something they like - When Benny got depressed like this after Pepsi died I had to coax every mouthful of grass into him - they just forget to eat once they get to a certain stage. I sat and hit him on the nose with wet leaves till he grabbed one - then he seemed to remember what food was after a while.

I hope they pick up - and I hope I'm wrong - but get it checked out by a vet ASAP I think :?

Re: hi

elve said:
I would get them straight to the vets and have them treated for stasis - this is classic early signs - probably due to stress of living outside like you say as they get into a habit and it unsettles them to have a change - maybe they got more attention off you when they were in the house?

Don't wait another day either - I guess it's too late to see anything but an emergency vet now on a Sat - ask for subcutaneous fluids, painkiller and metaclopramide to get their guts moving again - and they will need to be force fed with mushed up pellets by syringe, unless you can tempt them with some wet grass or something they like - When Benny got depressed like this after Pepsi died I had to coax every mouthful of grass into him - they just forget to eat once they get to a certain stage. I sat and hit him on the nose with wet leaves till he grabbed one - then he seemed to remember what food was after a while.

thats a bit hasty, considering they are eating! if they have always been house bunnys and are now outside it is probably that they are a little stressed probably from all the different noises, kymber did this when i moved him outside he had always been an house bun but his girly was fine she loved being outside, he settled in just over a week..

and they tend not to drink so much water when they are outside!, being indoor cant dry them out more!

BUT if they do stop eating and there belly (lower part) feels hard of very soft then i would take them to the vets!

Eve x

I hope they pick up - and I hope I'm wrong - but get it checked out by a vet ASAP I think :?

Sorry, my mum reminded me yesterday afternoon that it said on the packet of rearguard that their appetite can be reduced for 24-48 hours following treatment! It was Thursday evening when we treated them, so I'm hoping that that is the reason, they've eaten their veg and some hay, just not touched the pellets, so I'll keep an eye on them today and then take them to the vets in the morning if they don't eat overnight!

Their bowl had been completely emptied by this morning, not one pellet left, and all their veg had gone too, they're now tucking into breakfast! So I'm much happier now! :D

Back