• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible Pregnancy?

chinakit

Warren Scout
I am a little concerned about one of my rescued does, Butterup (the very timid Netherland). It's now 3 weeks and a day since I got her, and today she has started to build a nest, pulling out her fur and making the hay into a nest also.

I realise this may be a phantom pregnancy, but as I haven't had her for very long, and as the rescue she came from isn't all that great, is there a chance she is actually pregnant? She looks a little fatter than she was, but I put that down to decent food. She certainly isn't huge! I am used to breeding guinea pigs and they get VERY fat before they 'drop' babies, but have no idea with rabbits. I cannot get to feel her tummy as she is very timid and it would freak her out, the last thing I would want if she is pregnant.

What is the gestation for rabbits? My gut feeling is to leave her be, and see if she produces babies. Of course if the gestation period comes and goes, I know then that it's a phantom.

Hope someone can help.

Chinakit
Jane xx

The gestation period for rabbits is around 31-35 days. So if she is actually pregnant, you would have about 1 week (or less) to go. Just keep an eye on her, and everything should go fine. Rabbits dont need any help giving birth so all you can do is wait. :D

If you said she isn't getting that heavy, I'm guessing its just a phantom.

Keep us updated xxx

is ther a possibilty that the father of the babies (if she is pregnant) could be bigger than your netherland as if he was it could cause problems whens shes giving birth.

my rabbit has done the same though made a nest and pulled out fur and she wasnt pregnant so maybe it is just a phantom.

hi

I've just read that being repeatedly mounted by another female bunny can induce a phantom pregnancy which lasts about 3 weeks - Hopefully it's just a phantom :?

Has she gone crazy with fur pulling or just enough to make a nest? When Ashlee had a phantom she pulled hair from everywhere she could reach. When my doe Aspen had her litter(huge accident) she pulled out just enough fur to cover the nest.

Best Wishes! Hope it is just a phantom!

Re: hi

elve said:
I've just read that being repeatedly mounted by another female bunny can induce a phantom pregnancy which lasts about 3 weeks - Hopefully it's just a phantom :?

I am hoping this is the 'problem' then, because when I first got her,s he was with another female who kept mounting her all the time until I separated them. Time will tell though, and I will know by this time next week if I am a Bunny Grandmother or not :D

Chinakit
Jane

Aspen'n'company said:
Has she gone crazy with fur pulling or just enough to make a nest? When Ashlee had a phantom she pulled hair from everywhere she could reach. When my doe Aspen had her litter(huge accident) she pulled out just enough fur to cover the nest.

Best Wishes! Hope it is just a phantom!

I hope it is a phantom too .... but she hasn't gone mad with the fur pulling ... there is just a nice little nest in the sleeping compartment.

If its a phantom, when would be the best time to get her spayed?

How old is she?

If she is old enough, and it is a phantom, I would wait until the phantom is almost over, and then take her in to be spayed.

I have to wait the full 31 days though, in case its a real pregnancy, no way would I abort babies .... and if she is pregnant, I am afraid I will just have to build more hutches ... unless someone on this forum wants any babies, cos I ain't letting any strangers have them!!!

Jane

Well, if you got her 3 weeks ago, and that was the only time she could have come into contact with a male, you should wait 1-2 weeks before getting her spayed. If she is pregnant, she should pop in 1-2 weeks, if not, I think its safe to go to the vet for a check up, and then get her spayed.

I have got one thought ... I recently rescued another bunny, a male, and his hutch is temporarily sitting on top of hers. Could the scent of the male trigger a phantom pregnancy? He has been here since last weekend, so almost a week.

And NO ... neither of the girls have been anywhere near either of my boys !!!!

No, I meant that before you rescued her, she could have come into contact with a male accidentily. Yes, the scent could trigger a phantom...is he neutered?

If she has not delivered 2 weeks from today then get her spayed ASAP. If she ends up having a litter then you must wait until the babies are weaned and seperated from her (8-10 weeks after they are born).

Charliesangel said:
No, I meant that before you rescued her, she could have come into contact with a male accidentily. Yes, the scent could trigger a phantom...is he neutered?

He is neutered now, just had him done yesterday, but he wasn't when he first arrived.

Aspen'n'company said:
If she has not delivered 2 weeks from today then get her spayed ASAP. If she ends up having a litter then you must wait until the babies are weaned and seperated from her (8-10 weeks after they are born).

Yes, I will do this.

phantom pregnancys happen around the 17th day and last until about 22 days! other than they feel a little heathier there is no real pregnancy, mine looked the same allthough her pregnancy sje just felt a little weightier!

personally i have never known a rabbit to make a nest at this time of year without being pregnant that normally happens in the spring! but thats not to say it cant happen

eve x

Buttercup is not hugely fat, although I know Netherlands sometimes just have a couple of babies, so she could still be pregnant. Time will tell! If she is pregnant, well I just have more bunnies, because I will probably keep them!

Will keep the forum posted on this!

I think the smell of an unneutered male can also set them off and as he was just done he is probably still giving off pheremones, which may have triggered a phantom pregnancy.

Sounds like you probably don't have anything to worry about!

Caz

I hope you are right Caz, for Buttercup's sake if not mine. When I got her she was in poor condition and thats only 3 weeks ago, I am not sure she will be in good enough condition to look after babies.

I could cope myself if she was preggie, would just get more hutches, but I don't want to put her through the strain of having babies.

Back