• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Some Bunny advice needed!

helenmemu

Young Bun
Hi all,

I am new to this site and i was just wondering if any of you experienced bunny people would be able to help me out!

I am thinking of getting my female rabbit spayed but i was just wondering have you had any bad experiences and how risky is the operation.

The other thing is, what are your views on house rabbits??? :D

I have had two of my girls spayed and both have been fine after the op. You must remember that there is a risk with any aneastheitc.

House rabbits are great loads of people have them XX

i am in the process of house training my rabbit, but let me tell you, it isn't easy!!! she has taken to eating wallpaper off my newly decorated room!!! i know it's a stage she will grow out but for the time being it's not making me happy!!!! :roll:

I have read, she will calm down once spayed so it's something i will serously consider but it makes me nervous in case it all goes horribly wrong!!!!

Have you been on this site?

http://www.rabbit.org/behavior/index.html

I found it great when I got my first house rabbit.

I had my girl spayed and she recovered well but it helps if you go somewhere that is experienced with rabbits as they need very different pre-op care to cats/dogs and different anaesthetics. Prices vary wildly and sometimes the cheapest isn't always the best.

There are some questions on the site I posted to ask any vet before you decide whether to register with them. It helps you to weed out the true bunny experts from those with pound signs in their eyes that figure "how hard can a rabbit be to neuter".

I am afraid spaying may not make her chew less but it will help with litter habbits and aggression.

There are lots of threads around on here about how to stop a bunny chewing. Usually top tips include training with a water spray, distracting with loads of hay and toys or blocking the areas off with perspex etc!

Caz

thanks for that caz. i think i may have picked the devil bunny in the pet shop!!! ha ha ha

i will take a look at that site!

I think it just depends on the rabbit as to how easy they are to housetrain! Niamh is an angel, I could leave her the run of the house 24/7 as long as there are no dangly table cloths or curtains as she's quite partial to a bit of fabric!!!

I tried for 14 months to keep treacle and fudge as houserabbits but could not leave them without supervision as they are destructive. They've nibbled every wooden item in the house, door frames, furniture, bannisters, leather sofa, carpets, so they are now in the garden with a nice 8' x 6' enclosure!

And splodge is developing into a bit of a carpet monster but he's only a baby so I'm hoping he'll calm down when he's been neutered! :D

as for getting females spayed, I think that it is a good idea as unspayed females can often develop cancer! I was quite worried about having niamh done as it's a more difficult operation than on cats, but I have a rabbit savvy vet who put my mind at ease and Niamh was fine! :D

What type of rabbit do you have? You know I would definitely get her spayed if you are thinking about bringing her indoors. It will curb some of the destructive behaviour. Might even help with the wallpaper situation.

For the time being, try and give her something else to chew, like a cardboard box, and see if it distracts her from the walls... I know this doesn't always work. We have holes in our NEW carpet from digging, but generally the novelty wears off eventually!

House rabbits are great because they become part of the family and they get constant attention (when they want it). b-m

my bun is a lop!!!!! she is becoming really sociable since we gave her the run of the house, she even gets on well with the cat, it's just the wallpaper thing...... she has totally trashed the bedroom (which i don't mind as i wanted a change in wallpaper!) but now she has started on another room. Does anybody know if wallpaper and glue is going to be harmful to her!!! :?

It's probably fine unless she is actually eating it. Have you tried giving her something else to chew? You also need to be quite strict. Move her out of the room every time she chews the paper and don't let her do it, otherwise she will think it is ok and carry on.

b-m

Back