• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shocked

taylor v 109

Mama Doe
Last week i was contacted by a young lady asking if i could take in there house rabbit as they didnt have the time for it.I said yes but explained that it would go out with the other rabbits in the shed till rehomed. She was very worried about this and asked a great many questions , i diidnt mind this at all as i thought i was dealing with a responsable owner. Any way arranged for the bun to come in the next day. Never turned up but had a call from the boyfriend, who asked so many questiones, i said in the end that perhaps they had better hang on to there rabbit till they found him a home, he carried on with the interigation and asked me for refferences so i gave him my vets number and the number of the animalsamaritons and there web page.There main worry was that he was not going to get enough attention from me while i had him as he had been used to being treated as one of the household and to put him in a cage was awfful.I did not think i would hear from them again but today they rang to ask if they could bring him down So this afternoon they came, the rabbit is a dwarf lop. Well i smelt him before i saw him, my god he stunk and when i got him out of the cage i was dumb struck,he was dirty mated and stunk, his bottom teeth were prodtruding up to his top lip and the top ones had bent backwards he carnt have been eating well cos he was under weight.. The lady said oh i bathed him for u he got dirty underneath, well that was were the smell was coming from, he was badly \ mated and had **** stuck all over him and bald patches were the mates had pulled the fur off. When i stroked him he was covered in little scabs, this turned out to be mites.On top of all this the tooth problem is affecting one of his eyes and he is bald around that one with a nasty disscharge coming from it. When i said u might have told me he had problems that were going to cost money, she just looked blankly at me and said but i took him to the vet 2 weeks ago he was fine [in a pigs eye].we rearly dont want him to go :evil: :roll: I rearly didnt know whot to say after all there interrigation of me they were the worst kind of people to have a rabbit. Iwas just so cross people like this drive me too disstraction, are they sain carnt they see whot they have done to this lovely bunny?. There are some well meaning people in this world that should be baned from keeping pets. :x [God help me to refraine from shooting such people]

Thank goodness bunny is with you now, but I understand what you are saying, it is frightening there are so many people out there who actually say they love their pets but have no idea of the cruelty they are inflicting on them. They just do not seem to see it.

One of the vets from my practise is South African (heaven knows what terrible things he has witnessed). He has an idea about the way so many of us treat animals in this country and he blames it on our state system. He feels that because some people do not accept responsibility for themselves and their children, and they know they will be able to receive financial help, they have the same opinion about their animals. They do not want it anymore, over to someone else to sort out. Obviously this cannot be generalised, many people need support from time to time and thank goodness it is there for them, but there are certainly those who appear content to drift just getting rid of 'problems'.

I must admit it galls me when they say 'I have some rabbits who have to come into rescue', no thought for how we are going to afford the vet bills. And (oh no I'm on a whinge roll) when they have paid out quite a bit of money for said buns and then say they cannot afford to neuter, vaccinate them or whatever.

Oh dear, it would have been much easier all round if I had just said 'I agree' wouldn't it :roll: :roll: :roll:

unbeleivable.

Hi val...what acn I say, erm shocked :cry: angry :x :x :x sad :cry: :cry: furious :evil: :evil: :evil: sadly I think that peole like that interregate you so as they appear to be "caring" when they obviously dont give a damn about their bunny. Thank goodness you have him now but its going to cost you in time as well as money to get him back to good health & ready to be re-homed. I had a situation once when I lady rung me & asked me to take in 14 bunnies, she kindly told me that I could have her rabbits free but she wanted £60. for the 2 hutches they lived in as she had paid a lot for them. I told her where to get off .... bl--dy cheek :x :x :x she sounded as though she was doing me a favour by dumping her bunnies on me.& how can you keep 14 bunnies in 2 hutches anyway. some people really do make you despair of mankind. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Alice lol if u had just said yes it would have made boring reading, i agree that is a major problem with people that carnt afford to keep an animal let alone pay vet bills,but these peopl came as a shock because they were working and had a new car,perhaps the car came first over the rabbit. Rabshan: they make u die dont they, ive had people ring up to ask if i want to buy there rabbits off them lol, deluded or what. val

Hi Val, what can I say! I too get cheesed off with those in Mecedes, BMV's, and 4X'4's who turn up begging poverty!! I agree with you, people like these value their vehicle over the life of their pet. Good luck with this little one, and I do not know if this is any help, but THANK GOODNESS FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU!!!

I htink I've said before, but Squidgy was left behind in a garden when his old owners moved house. I think they left him because his teeth were overgrown and they thought it would cost a lot of money to put right, or maybe they just couldn't be bothered going to the vet. They lived in a huge house. It only cost £50 to have his teeth removed, and he's just a little angel. So friendly. These people don't know what they've missing out on,

Some people make you sick :evil: thank goodness the bunny's safe now! I've spoken to so many people who used to have rabbits but they died of flystrike, or escaped, or ate through the hutch and it crushed them, like it's no big deal, makes my blood boil!!! Some people are so irresponsible!!! :cry:

Don't even go there on the subject off people not being responsible esp for children and animals.

I saw a thing in the paper about some woman who's 3 girls got pregnant all under the age of 16 !! and blamed it on the school even though she let them have sex in her house....errr yeah that's really the schools fault...it's the same with animals....oh i didn't realise they would breed if i put a girl and boy together

I think the main reason people mistreat animals is they can't be bothered

Back