• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

another update-advice needed

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
well Gabriel went to the vets for his last treatment of panamec yesterday. we ended up leaving him there for a skin scraping and to have his tear ducts flushed :(

when we went to collect him our usual vet(and the one who done the skin scraping, tear duct flushing) wasnt there, so we saw a rather useless man. he didnt explain anything to us about what had been found. what we were told(after i asked) is that no mites/lice were found on the skin scraping, but that could of been because he had already had two treatments, and not that he didnt have them in the first place. anyway, he is also being tested for fungal infection, but ive been told this can take upto 2/3 weeks to have the results back.

the man also told me that they had tried to flush his tear duct but that the liquid wouldnt go through so his tear duct is blocked-could someone explain what this means? i didnt want to ask the man as he seemed pretty clueless, and i didnt get the chance to ring my vets up today to ask.

he has been sent home with more baytril, and ive been told to keep applying the eye drops.

he was also sent home with grisovin tabs 125mg, and told to give him a quarter of a tab a day for his skin. when we spoke with our usual vet yesterday morning she suspected ringworm :( ) i didnt give him any yesterday and will be doing so tonight, i just wanted to check this was right? i was also wondering how i could give him the tablet? the man we saw suggested tearing open a used tea bag and mixing some of the leaves with a spoonful of porridge oats and hiding the tablet in that?

my poor little gabriel, hes had such a rough start to life. and we havnt even been able to handle him as much as we would like to because of his problems and the risk of passing anything onto our other pets. poor little boy. i cant wait until he can become the proper house bunny he is supposed to be :)

Griesofulvin (not sure of spelling) is used to treat a systemic fungal infection, where fungal spores have been ingested and are causing lots of problems. I haven't heard of this in rabbits before, but it is fairly common in guinea pigs. I would have thought using an antifungal shampoo would have been the place to start, not start with the big guns, as it were. But maybe you have tried that already.

If fluid wouldn't go through the tear duct it may be that it is not properly formed, or has been damaged. This would explain chronicly runny eyes - one of mine has this, which she lives with as she has a companion who keeps her nice and clean. She gets the occasional infection which usually clears up with a few days of fucithalmic ointment from the vet.

hi

Oh poor Gabriel - you are a saint for taking him on and nursing him like this - hope he eventually gets a girlfriend to wash his teary eyes too :)

im not sure why she didnt start with an anti fingal shampoo. maybe its because id been giving him baths with seleen shampoo and when she asked how he was with me doing that i told her how he hated it, and how he seemed stressed whilst i was doing it.

i didnt give him the grisovin last night as im still not sure how to give it to him! please if anyone has any ideas on how to give him the tablet meds please let me know so i can start him on it today

I'd mash up some pellets in a bit of water and crush the tablet into it then roll them up into little balls and see if he eats them. Or if he likes banana try crushing it into that!

Caz

hi

If you put a tablet between 2 teaspoons you can grind it to powder - then maybe sprinkle it on wet veg or whatever he's used to eating?

sorry i should have said that my problem is that he is only around 12 weeks old now and so he isnt on any veg or anything yet. i shall try what you suggested Caz, see if he will take it mixed in his pellets.

When my chinchillas had ringworm, I had some luck using Lamisil cream (for athlete's foot). I also used antifungal shampoo (Malaseb shampoo from the vet) as a topical treatment, applying it with a brush to the affected areas and just wiping it clean once it'd been on for the 10 minutes you're supposed to leave it on. Might be worth discussing these options with the vet?
I did treat them with the Griso-stuff but that didn't really do much for it.

Seleen is anti-fungal so that clears that up. What you should be aware of is that the strong shampoos like Seleen can cause flaking themselves as they are so strong and kill off the top layer of skin, which can be good as it takes the infection off the skin with the flakes. But it may appear that it hasn't worked when in fact it has.

Back