• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

snuffle bunnies

Well Bonnie and Bunny definately have it and so we are treating them and the men in their lives, whilst sorting out Sid and cleo this evening Sid started sneezing, he then got the hump because i dared to pick him up and check his bum, what an awful mummy i am :roll: :roll:
Anyway, now these bunsters all have snuffles and this is bunnies 2nd lot of treatment can we assume they will always have it???
Bunny had it as a baby and Sid came into WG with suspicious snuffly symptons and was on baytril, Bonnie is really sneezy bless her it is heartbreaking, the medicine seems to be having little effect. The vets have said to finish the course and then see what they are like, both me and mark are terrified that it will turn more sinister :( :( :(
Any advice greatfully received :D

It can take a longer course of baytril to clear it up. Sometimes 3-4 weeks rather than the usual 10-14 days. It will quite possibly clear up and they remain symptomless for ages and then have another bout of it. It can flair up again when they're under the weather with something else.

Tam

hi

this is a really good article on snuffly type illness in bunnies - has your vet done a culture test of the snot? Different bacteria respond better to different antibiotics - there are a whole range of both so hopefully if you can be specific about which organism's causing the infection you will find a cure for the symptoms - although I believe it lies dormant then and can flare up when a bunny is stressed. Good luck - it must be miserable watching them sneezing all the time :(

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

The vet said we shouldn't worry unless gunk comes out their noses :shock: :shock: As yet have not seen any nasty gunk, we have checked them ater they sneeze as i know they wipe it on their paws but still dry and clear, the course finishes in a day or so, will contact the vets for more and a course for Sid and Cleo too.

Re: hi

elve said:
this is a really good article on snuffly type illness in bunnies - has your vet done a culture test of the snot? Different bacteria respond better to different antibiotics - there are a whole range of both so hopefully if you can be specific about which organism's causing the infection you will find a cure for the symptoms - although I believe it lies dormant then and can flare up when a bunny is stressed. Good luck - it must be miserable watching them sneezing all the time :(

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sneezing.html

Good article.

One of my poor little rescue mums is snuffly and I was discussing this with Dorothy. She advised me to try some Bach crab apple in her water, 8 drops in a medium sized bottle. Melinda is on her second course of antibiotics and has not been very strong since she came in, her little nose is often dirty. I don't know if the antibiotics are starting to take effect or
the crab apple, which I started last night, is helping but I swear she looks clearer today than she has for the last month!

Alice

Back