• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*PLEASE HELP* Rabbit owner novice - Liquid, or liquid solid?

Richseth

Young Bun
Hi,

I just got a rabbit yesterday, and just a while ago, he released something from his backside. Being new to this, im unsure if this is urine or diarrhea and some urgent advice would be very much appreciated!

Here is the little fella (Seth)
DSC00211.JPG

And his discharge
DSC00212.JPG

Any help that is given would be VERY much appreciated,
Thanks!

Rich

Re: hi

elve said:
My untrained girls do wee that colour on the patio - how does it smell?

He is untrained...only had him 2 days. I got pretty close and its didnt smell (not that i could smell anyway). it was mainly liquid, but had a sediment in it a similar colour to the liquid. Does this sound right or does it sound like something is wrong? Thank you!

Rich

hi

Rabbit wee does have sediment in sometimes - it varies in colour depending on their diet - sometimes it's red (dandelions!) or white - and can even be thick like toothpaste if they have a calcium problem - they don't always wee clear.

Inspecting wee and poo is a good hobby, most bunny keepers get very familiar with texture/consistency over time :lol:

So long as you don't suddenly change his diet or give him lots of greens or grass or carrots etc when he's never had them before, he shouldn't get diahorrea.

It looks like urine to me. Bunnies urine can vary alot from yellow through to orange and even red! It can also look abit cloudy rather than just like coloured water.

Is you bun eating/producing normal poop too?

Tam

Thanks

Excellent! Thanks guys! Sounds like he just took a pee! Was quite worried about the little fella! He has been producing healthy amounts of regulr solid droppings and so far only been eating hay, food pellets and a couple (literally) carrot rabbit treats (biscuit things). So should i just keep an eye on him and see if how it goes?

Thanks for your help. Forums are a godsend!

Rich

hi

well this one is anyway :lol:

He sounds totally healthy to me - if you put a litter
tray in that corner he'll litter train himself too!

But the worry never stops when you're a bunny mum/dad :shock:

Awwwwww....what a beautiful bunny!! Seth is a dutch yeh?

I have my first bunny too. Her name is Bindi, and this forum has got me through a lot of worries.

Gracie and animals x

Re: hi

elve said:
well this one is anyway :lol:

He sounds totally healthy to me - if you put a litter
tray in that corner he'll litter train himself too!

But the worry never stops when you're a bunny mum/dad :shock:

Thanks! I'll give it a go once he's settled in a bit more!

Seth says thanks! :D

JIMGRACIE said:
Awwwwww....what a beautiful bunny!! Seth is a dutch yeh?

I have my first bunny too. Her name is Bindi, and this forum has got me through a lot of worries.

Gracie and animals x

Thank! Yep hes a dutch (So i've been told!). Forums are brilliant for this very reason!

Thanks

Rich (and of course Seth)

Tamsin said:
It looks like urine to me. Bunnies urine can vary alot from yellow through to orange and even red! It can also look abit cloudy rather than just like coloured water.

Is you bun eating/producing normal poop too?

Tam

Let me hijack this thread for a moment:

1) Under what condition is it orange?

2) I notice when my rabbit (the one just passed away) eat weeds, grasses, his urine turns red, why?

3) What if the urine is a almost clear yellow?

4) I know milky yellow is when there is calcium inside, isn't that the best color, a normal color, if so, if there were time the urine is not milky yellow, what does that mean? NOt enough calcium for the rabbit?

Def looks like pee to me! and lord knows with Grace around i've seen enough of the stuff! :lol:

bunnyhuggger said:
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-1/red-urine.html

thanks. I read thru it. It explain most issues. My first 2 rabbits urine is the milky yellow color.

My 3rd rabbit urine was the milky yellow color but change to "very light yellow", and yet thru those blood test, it show no chronic kidney problem. So I still want to know if that light color urine is normal or not.

Has anyone else experience it?

I would say that any colour of urine is 'normal' for a bunny, the only time you need to worry is if it has any blood spots in it or if it's a gritty or chalky thick consistency.

Back