• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies Fitting

BOO

Young Bun
Anyone know why bunnies have fits? My bun Benny is a poorly boy who has had pretty much everthing wrong with him, at the moment he is being treated for E.C with Panacur (.46ml once a day) and Baytril (.90ml twice a day) to rule out an ear infection, he's also had ear mite jabs to rule that out as well but he's still fitting.

He had 1 fit last night & 2 this morning, he's been in the vets all day and not fitted once. Each fit last about 1-2mins and his whole body twists round to the left until he standing on his hind legs and if I don't grab him he falls over. I'm a bit annoyed with the vets today as they're normally so good but today they've sent him home & he cant really move. He has no co-ordination and is wobbly. They checked his teeth whilst he was there and they gave him gas rather than a GA so could the gas make him woozy? I'm going to ring them tommorrow to speak to them as I'm not happy about his condition.

He is eating and will sometimes go 1-2 weeks without fitting so I'm wondering if it could be epilepsy rather than E.C or something more sinister like a brain tumour?

Please help, any advice or experience with fitting bunnies I'd be very grateful for.

Also why do other people always say "oh it's only a rabbit" when you try to tell them things. He may be "only a rabbit" but he's my rabbitand I want the best for him!

hi

Oh dear he does sound like a poor lad - but it sounds like you've thought of every possibility with what's causing it - can vets do a brain scan or ultrasound to see if he has a tumour? I've looked at all my rabbit refs and they don't mention much at all, although I did find this - but I'm not sure what breed your rabbit is so it may be irrelevant - the meds info is at the bottom of the article:
http://lionheadrabbit.net/epilepsy&Lionheads.htm

Good luck with him :)

Thanks for that gonna have a read now. Benny is a harlequin lop but I don't think he's a pure breed. He's a rescue Bun that my other half found in a garage where he was working so we don't know much about where he came from. Think I'll search the web for info too.

How long has he been having treatment?

He could certainly be wobbly/woozy from today, if so he should be okay again tommorow.

Their are epilepsy drugs they use in dogs/cats so if you get your vet to liase with a rabbit specilist they might be able to suggest something. Often despite not being licenced for rabbits there have been tests done anyway.

Tam

Back