• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Old Flea bag :) (Update)

Toby

Banned
Been to the vet with Toby and what a performance. There was Toby, a cat and a dog having a duet lol. First the cat starting Meowing, then the dog started barking and then Toby started thumping! God I have a headache! We sat ages waited and waiting and wasn’t sure what was going on, until it clicked when the vet came out to get a chair, that there was a problem in the surgery. About 20 – 25 mins later a very old man can out crying, his old best friend had been put to sleep. I was trying so hard not to bubble myself lol. The poor old man had tears in his eyes when he paid (it still cost £77 though!) and I had a lump. The poor guy was an ex pat and probably had that dog for a long time. I had totally forgotten what I went in for as me and Toby was next in! The vet was very sympathetic and polite to me and Toby as he had been a bit upset himself, so I think it was good for him to have a lighter hearted problem. I made him laugh by walking in and saying “Yes we have a bit of a flee bag here” :lol: .

But anyway Toby has Fleas and that surprised the Vet, it looked like a flea I saw earlier. We cannot understand why or how Toby as fleas as we have no other animals….thought he kept mentioning a cat. I think he thinks it’s a cat flee and the tenant downstairs has a cat. Either that or it’s from the hay. He told me that if it’s a human flee (well it certainly isn’t mine :lol: ) that they are very rare and worth some cash LOL :shock: ! Poor Toby is victimised hehe...that shut bf up :p . Toby was given a Jab to stop irritation and I have been given some Xenex Ultra and it kills Fleas, ticks, mites and lice. Has anyone else used this?

Oh I forgot to mention that there is a small number of fleas so I must have caught it early. And need to be keept under control as it only takes one flea with Mixie. I think my heart stopped when he said that.

I also heard rabbit fleas were rare especially on house rabbits! Maybe you should get your boyf checked out for fleas too ;)!

Haven't heard of that treatment but if it is safe for rabbits then give it a go - poor Toby!

Caz

I haven't heard of that treatment either - I usually use Advantage for small animals, but sure the vet knows what is safe!

Awww, poor man at the vets :(

LOL, yep would def check the o/h for fleas :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad toby is now being treated, Im sure he will be flea free soon!!! :D

Aww poor mr tobs! Fleas can jump up to 4 metres and they can be carried from place to place my us, if it's a human flea it may be that someone you or your boyf work with has them. Mmm

I don't think it’s human; otherwise I am sure one of us would have known. I know I haven't been scratching lol. But if it was humans flea id be trying to contain it to take it to a lab....good be a bit of cash :lol: Bout I don’t think it is. The guy downstairs has a cat that roams outside and we bring in newspapers that are left on the doorstep outside - could be that....or the hay. Toby is going back to the vet today as his not liking his treatment.

Aww mr toby XXX Well Flea eggs can live for up to 12months in carpets and a hoover being turned on can wake them. It is very likly that the cat downstairs has them and they have come up that way.

I dunno what to do, he still seems pretty stressed and I think taking him to the vets again tonight might not help. But I have had to take the meds off him. However the treatment was on his skin for about 4-6 hours before I washed it off, do you think it would have done any good? If I leave him be over the weekend he still might have fleas, but then I don't want to stress him even more taking him to the vets again just yet. Dose anyone know of some good flea spray so I can treat our home? Going to get some today.

ive used xenex ultra spot on before, many times on my rats. they never really liked having it on either, but it never caused any harm and always done the trick! i only started using panamec as it was alot easier to give to them as it was a much smaller dosage needed!

as for a spray for your home, try crusade. it can only be bought at a vets and is quite pricey(cost me £14!) but it kills mites, lice, flies, larvae, ticks and fleas. i sprayed the room Gabriel is in when we thought he had mites and its sure kept all the flies out of the room! Bevbunny also found on a website that it lasts for upto 3 months, so id say its worth getting.

Hope Toby gets rid of his fleas soon!

Back