• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy eye and teeth needing clipping - UPDATE

Sweetie

Mama Doe
Hi All,

I was told by the vet to keep an eye on Elvis' teeth as they were slightly misaligned. Well, they have been absolutely fine since I had him in December but I checked them last night and the two behind his two top teeth are starting to show underneath. I also noticed that the fur around his left eye was a bit damp.

Ive checked the reference sections and found there could be a link between the teeth and eye problems. Will having the teeth done sort out the eye problem?

Has anyone else experienced this?

There can be a conection between eye problems and teeth probs best thing to do is have your vet check them over. XX

hi

The roots to the back teeth are right under the eye socket, and can put pressure on the eye, but usually only in older rabbits as their bone is thinner - The front teeth can sometimes cause a problem with the eyes, although they are further away, as if they are misaligned it affects the wear on the back teeth - but your vet would need to do an x-ray to find out I guess?

I'm pretty sure it's root problems rather than overgrown incisors/molars that can cause weepy eyes. However, if his roots are overgrown then it could affect the teeth, or if it's due to bad breeding then he could have been born with misaligned teeth and his roots have grown to become a problem.
Or I could be wrong and it could be just because of his teeth! I'd ask your vet really.
When Mary had his front teeth out, he did get an eye infection in one of his eyes, don't know if this was related as obviously they removed the roots too.

I have a bunny who needs her front teeth cutting by the vet every 6 weeks. Her eyes get weepy just before the teeth need cutting. I dont know why but there does seem to be a connection. (Her back teeth are checked regularly and are ok). I always wondered if it was because she was the runt of the litter and therefore prone to being abit poorly. Hope this helps. On one occassion her eye did get infected but it was easy to tell between the infection and the usual weeping.

hiya, I just wanted to say, be careful of having your buns teeth cut too often, each time they do this (if they use clippers) it jars the jaw bone and leaves this area open to infections like abcesses, (nasty) you'd be better off having the teeth filed or ground down, or removed completly, although they can grow back so you'd need to keep an eye on this. I don't want to worry you!!!! but I jus thought you should know.
xx

HI
If teeth do become a problem, it's probably best to have them out. Squidgy was quite distressed at having his teeth clipped so often, so we had them removed, and he's great now. He findsit much easier to eat now too.

We monitor her closely and only get them done when she is struggling to eat. The vet cuts them using a thing that slices them off (sounds like a grinder)! Broke my heart first time she had it done - sounded awful - but like you say it is better than having them 'cut' off. She is very used to it now and doesnt get stressed by it all. We have excellent vets (we have the guy Andy who has been on TV as a vet at Longleat and he calls her his little bunny burrito)!! who discuss the options of having them taken out each time we visit but as yet they dont seem to think it is neccessay.

At what point is having the teeth removed neccessary? Does it depend on the vets opinion? Would be interested to know x

I was told that teeth with malloclusion were useless to the bun anyway, I noticed that mine never seemed to chew on veg or anything after having the teeth burred down. Mary's coat was always in such a state only 4 or 5 days after having the burred down, and was back at the vet a few days later, and he'd always start to lose his appetite and not groom so much, and get bits of fur stuck between his teeth (the bottom ones grew slightly apart from each other).
After he had them out, he became a completely different bun and now has a gorgeous coat, a very healthy appetite and absolutely loves his diced up veg! After seeing this, I had no doubts about having Squishy's teeth removed before I even saw the vet, and she agreed that they were so badly aligned that it needed doing, and he's a lot less grumpy and loves his timothy hay.

when Bernard reached adulthood it was then his teeth just grew and grew, he had them clipped a couple of times but it wasnt for me and I just knew I could not let him have this done every three weeks for the rest of his life. So he had them out the front top two and the bottom two. He came home from the vets and started to eat :D He eats the same as all my other buns, we just have to cut and shred his veggies smaller and just make sure Panzy and Bernard dont scof theres then try and pinch his as he does eat a little slower.

One of his bottom teeth has started to grow back, but it seems to be stunted and not growing, We will just keep an eye in that.

I believe having Bernards teeth was the best thing we could have done for him he is such a happy bunny.

Thank You for all your help guys.

Ive booked Elvis an appointment at the vets for tonight. When I checked on him this morning he hadnt eaten any of his veggies. He`d had some water and a few pellets but nothing else. He perked up when i stroked him but hes just not himself.

I just feel horrible leaving him at home all day but there was no way on earth I couldve had today off to take him to the vets. 5.50pm was the first appointment I could get for him so fingers crossed he`ll be ok. If it is his teeth then i have already decided it would be best to have them taken out. I really couldnt stand to put him through having them clipped all the time as he is absolutely petrified of the vets as it is without taking him every few weeks.

I just hope my little man is going to be ok.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Let us know how it goes. I'm sure he'll be fine, once his tushy pegs are sorted.

HS said:
Let us know how it goes. I'm sure he'll be fine, once his tushy pegs are sorted.

Thank you xxxx

I just wish there was a way they could tell us when theyre ill! I just feel really helpless.

how did he get on at the vets ??

cheekybun has dental probs and eye probs all his life . Over the years he had to have several dentals . I asked the vet to remove them but as cheeky was 5 years old by the time it got really bad - he said that it was too big and op for cheeky to survive . he went on to live another year and a half tho :D - hopefully once the vet has alook and can get this treated then elvis will be back to normal .

UPDATE

Well, theres nothing wrong with Elvis` teeth, or his eyes, ears, feet, claws etc ...........to sum up what the vet said, 'theres nothing at all wrong with him'

I explained that he`d lost his appetite so the vet gave him two injections to boost it and gave me a sachet of Science Recovery powder. He explained what I needed to do (mix it with 70mls of warm water and suringe feed it at regular intervals) BUT, do I make the whole mixture up in one go and feed it all in the regular intervals OR do i make it up in one go but feed it to him over a few days at regular intervals but warming up the little bit i have to give him????? Im confused!!!! Can anyone help with this please?

Also Ive got to feed him vegetable baby food :shock: :? :lol: :lol: Is this suringe fed or do i try my luck with a tea spoon???

Im sorry for all the questions but im really naive about things like this as Ive never had to suringe feed him anything before. Please help!!

If Elvis hasnt started eating his own food (pellets veggie and hay) by Wednesday then I have to take him back to the vets :?

not sure about the recovery solution, but I'd let him have a go at eating the baby food himself first. Or pop a bit on your finger to let him lick.
Good luck! COme on Elvis - eat for your mummy.

Back