• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering Charlie tomorrow + Rescue bunny wanted! :)

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Hello everyone,

Charlie is now well devoloped to be neutered now, which is going ahead tomorrow (Wednesday)

The main reason why i am getting him Neutered is because i would like to get him a girlfriend. How long do you think it will be until after the Op i can?

I am based in Milton keynes and i would like a rescue bunny, but the only thing is my hutch which i have i think might be slightly small for two bunnies- i really can't afford to buy another one at the moment. I have a large outside run which charlie spends all day in and just sleeps in the hutch, would this be cruel?

Sarah-Jane

Usually it is best to leave him for 6 weeks after neutering to get him a girl friend this gives his hormones time to settle. XX Good luck for tommorow XX

Every Vet is different mine always says wait 6 weeks but I have heard of people putting them together after 4 weeks. You could get female as soon as you want if you get another hutch as at least they can get to know each other through the wire first. Try ringing around some rescues as they sometimes have hutches donated to them as I do and they normally on charge a minimum. Try looking in the papers for free hutches.

Oh bless Charlie - will be thinking of the little chap tomorrow.
If the female is already spayed, then I think you should be able to find him a friend within 6 weeks (as soon as he is healed).
The only rabbit rehoming places within MK are RSPCA 01908 662950 - this is run by a lady called Sandra from her house in Walnut Tree - I had Honey from her, they didn't used to neuter but I think they do now.
There is Hula in Aspley Guise.
There is Rabbit Rescue in Ashton - Stony Stratford roundabout - right towards Northampton and Ashton is just off there to the right - Annette does neuter. Then a bit further afield is Tracy is Rugby (I have had three from her) and she also neuters and vaccinates - maybe you should come along to her open day in a few weeks' time. :lol:

Thanks alot for that Julie, that's really helpfull :) I found Hula's website and emailed them. They have told me that they have 50 rabbits at the moment, but they don't neutered them, unless they come in neutered.

I shall call the RSPCA and get some information from them i think.

Many Thanks!

x

Well the Op went fine!! :)

Charlie's just been alittle quiet and in his own world! I feel really bad for what i have done to him. I have left him in his hutch to chill out by himself! :(

I feel abit cruel, as i got him back home yesterday at 4ish and i have left him in his hutch as i knew he was alittle sore so i didn't want to keep picking him up! I am planning to leave him in there today to!

Do you think this is unfair to him? I dont really want to put him in his run today as i guess he would be open to infections?

He can go out sarah he will be fine just keep an eye on his scares. Jack was done last wednesday and apart fron the first night he has been back in his run ever since and he is fine XXX

Oh great, Thanks alot for that Phill, Just abit worried about picking him up as i dont want to hurt him in anyway!

I'm off to work at 1, so i might put him out until then i guess! :)

He will be fine sarah, did the vet use stiches or glue? Mine uses a sort of glue substance which seals the wound together and stops infection getting in

Pleases that the op went well.
I was in Jollyes yesterday and noticed that there was a new contact number for RSPCA rabbits section in MK - the ad said that they had some babies in and some neutered adults. The number was 0794892181

Oh that's great news Julie-Thanks i'll give them a call soonish :)
The vet said i had to wait about 4weeks before i could introduce him to another rabbit!!

Back