• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

picking rabbits up

kaz

New Kit
Hi,
can someone tell me what the best way to pick up a rabbit is, as my rabbit munchkin wriggles loads and tries to escape every time i go to pick her up.

Thanks Kerry

Are you supporting her bottom? Rabbits often struggle if they feel they might fall, so one hand firmly under their rear end should help. I also find that when China struggles (she does sometimes), I hold her as close to me as possible, as low to the ground as possible, support her rear end, and speak softly and reassuringly, tickling her chin. She always calms down then and realises that she's safe in my hands. The trick is to make them feel as safe and reassured as possible.

Do it in stages, your rabbit will respond to things done on her terms. Good luck!

AMETHYST

hi

I could never pick Pepsi up, although he liked being stroked more than Benny does - I put one hand under his chest, and one under his rear and just lifted him off the ground for a few inches then put him down again straight away - He started to get used to it over a couple of months, and if he really struggled I just held him firmly and closer in to my body, speaking soothing 'there there' kind of stuff all the time - although beware and always wear long sleeves and no low-neck tops - those back feet scratch really badly :shock:

thanks, i scoop her up! jokes, erm does any one know how to put videos on here then i could show you a vid of her! (sorry random i know!)
millie is extremly cuddly, lol does any one elses buns have a bag of fur bit on their chest so when bun lays on belly the bun looks huge??
amyx
sorry i posted lots of questions lol

I dont pick mine up with my hands i like them the way they are. I have got a few scars from trying to pick mine up. I figure if they dont like it i wont do it. I'd rather let them go by themselves rather than stress them out. If i do need to carry them anywhere though i have a red box (material box made for cats to sleep in) that i put them in and they are quite happy to sit in there and let me transport them where ever i want them to go. ANd they dont mind that much that they sit in it when they want to get 'transported' to the garden for some fun time :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back