• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding the 5 girls to Benny

elve

Banned
Well the group of 5 girls should be arriving early afternoon on Wednesday, all going to plan - Any advice on bonding such a big group to one rabbit who owns the territory? - there is nowhere neutral they can meet. The patio area is about 13' x13' plus the 5'x8' shed, plus my kitchen - all open onto each other - will they be better or worse meeting in such a big area?

I'm expecting a lot of chasing and chaos, (hope it's not a hot day!) but it's bedtime that concerns me - IF (optimistically) they seem to have got on OK will it be safe to leave them all in my boy's shed together, or should I put him in a cage in the shed, just to be safe - or will that be 2 steps forward and one back if they are getting on OK? If they are not getting on then I guess he will overnight in the cage in the shed with the girls next to him.

I have another problem with feeding, as they have a totally different diet to my boy and I don't want upset tummies either :?

thanks for any advice :)

Elve, if you can section off the patio i would try introducing the girls one at a time, and failing that just put them all intogether and see what happens!!! Good luck XXXX

Oh, I've not been on here all weekend and have missed this! Congratulations Elve!

Who has the girls at the moment? Could they start the process of changing the food over for you now. Know it's not long but a couple of days having a little of your food is better than none.
When they do arrive you can get away with giving them very little mix and mostly hay - then build up the mix gradually. This is what I do when a rabbit comes in that I don't know what he's been fed before.

Not sure there is a right or wrong way with introductions - bunnies are all so different. What ever you do - good luck!! x

hi

Thanks for that :)
I may put Benny in a fenced off half patio, containing a 3'x6' run I have, then put all the girls in the shed, and put them into the run one by one, so that I can see how he react - if it's OK then put them on the patio with him - I can see I'm in for many sleepless nights filled with worry - maybe I'll get a baby monitor for the shed!

With the food, I asked the lady at Kirkby for a bag of their food to mix in with my science selective - so hopefully I'll get that - My problem will be stopping Benny scoffing their food - I may feed him in a cat carrier I think...I'm sure nothing will go anywhere near according to any plan :lol:

Elve, I am so sorry about pepsi. Me and the buns are sending you hugs and kisses.

Now about the new ones. I would reccomend that you keep the girls seperate for a day or so, that way they will get used to their surroundings. Then try and single out the dominant female and get her and benny to get used to eachothers presence. Then in a sanctioned off area let the does and benny to meet. You will most likley get a little mounting and from the non-dominant females because they won't want a territory.

Good LUck!

Back