• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost and Found Bunnies

Denny

Mama Doe
After reading Chris's topic about a lost bunny I was wonder if many rescues kept the found/stray buns for a certain period of time to see if the owner comes forward :?:

After managing to get some educational posters + business card up at my mothers vets it got me thinking about how we could all support our local rescues.

I can honestly say that, until feb 2004 I did not realise that there were so many rescues out there, be it rabbit rescues or general animal rescues until I stumble upon rabbit rehome. When Casper did'nt come home at his usual time in March of this year, apart from searching all night, the minute 8am came, I started phoning around the vets, contacted petsearch and phoned the RSPCA's and PDSA. These are the only ones I know that are in my area so my idea comes, here we go :wink:

What I thought would help, not only the rescues but also the public in their search for a lost or new pet would be to put up your local or nearest rescue business cards as well as the RR ones in your local vets and petshops :D

Not only is this bringing to light for vets who is out there resuce wise, the calls that they do get asking if their pet has been handed in, they could then forward the phone number to the rescues but also brings to light for the general public that these rescues are out there :D

Not everyone has internet access and usually, after purchasing a pet, the only place you will really visit that could spread the word about rescues/ rabbit rehome/ animal welfare etc is by supplying this information at your vets :wink: :D

what do you think :?:

Hi Denny

I have a 28 day quarantine period anyway whether it be for surrendered pets or lost pets. In the mean time i do inform vets, the police,other rescues and the RSPCA if a stray comes in, but up to date i have had 23 rabbits and 1 gerbil in and they have never been claimed.

I've just issued my vets a list of rescue centres. Hopefully that will stop them giving out my number every time someone neeeds a home for something small n furry :shock:

Vets are certainly a good place to put info as people often have to sit around waiting so they'll read the notice board or things lying around that perhaps they wouldn't have normally.

Tam

vets.

At my vets they had a poster on display for the rabbit charity which closed down about 2yrs. ago so if anyone had wanted to get a rescue bunny they wouldn,t have got a reply & probably went to the nearest pet shop instead. they have taken it down now but I don,t think we have any local rescues here, so if a rescue would like me to put up a poster for them I will do so.

From our experience I think there are very few rescues in East London and parts of Essex, we frequently get website contacts and phone calls from people on the East side of the M25 area looking for both rabbits and guinea pigs. I am not sure if it is because we have a website which is kept upto date with photographs of most of the rabbits and piggies and others in the area don't. Or if people cannot find what they are looking or if there are simply no rescues available. We have rehomed quite a number of animals to lovely homes in your area which has been very helpful to us but does result in lots of travelling for people who are looking to adopt.

jrn1310 said:
From our experience I think there are very few rescues in East London and parts of Essex, we frequently get website contacts and phone calls from people on the East side of the M25 area looking for both rabbits and guinea pigs. I am not sure if it is because we have a website which is kept upto date with photographs of most of the rabbits and piggies and others in the area don't. Or if people cannot find what they are looking or if there are simply no rescues available. We have rehomed quite a number of animals to lovely homes in your area which has been very helpful to us but does result in lots of travelling for people who are looking to adopt.

there rescues in east london are few and far between there are some in essex but essex is a very big place and when i tell people about the rescue i know of i essex people garsp and say they are not going that far for a rabbit :twisted: personally i have spent hours travelling outside of essex to collect rabbits but do wish there was somewhere around here, to the point where my own vet asked if he could give my number out but unfortunatley i had to say no due to finances but wish i could get involved with a rescue centre in the essex/east london area as there is a need for one!!!!

Eve x

Denny said:
When Casper did'nt come home at his usual time in March of this year, apart from searching all night, the minute 8am came, I started phoning around the vets, contacted petsearch and phoned the RSPCA's and PDSA.

Did you ever find Casper??

AMETHYST

rescues

Hi...the only one that I know of is the wood green animal shelter but their bunnies are kept at godmanchester, which is quite a long way for potential new owners to travel. I used to take in ex-breeder rabbits & pasteuella postive ones but I know longer do that, the other lady who used to rescue near here was visited by the RSPCA & she gave up her bunnies & stopped. I know that there is a need for a rescue in this area.

Re: rescues

rabshan said:
Hi...the only one that I know of is the wood green animal shelter but their bunnies are kept at godmanchester, which is quite a long way for potential new owners to travel. I used to take in ex-breeder rabbits & pasteuella postive ones but I know longer do that, the other lady who used to rescue near here was visited by the RSPCA & she gave up her bunnies & stopped. I know that there is a need for a rescue in this area.

the other is woodgreen at woodgreen buy to be honest they dont get many and they do NOT vacinate or neuter

Eve x

Amethyst said:
Denny said:
When Casper did'nt come home at his usual time in March of this year, apart from searching all night, the minute 8am came, I started phoning around the vets, contacted petsearch and phoned the RSPCA's and PDSA.

Did you ever find Casper??

AMETHYST

while I was phoning around OH went out looking and found him dead under a car :cry: there was no sign that he had been hit by a car so not sure if he had had a fit or stroke or something as he would have been 19 years old in June :( even though he had died I was glad to get him back as I could not have stood the 'not knowing' :cry: it would have crusified me :( thanks for asking though Amethyst :)

back to topic, I too dont have any immediately close rescues really but was thinking of maybe doing an A5 list of the ones that are closest to me (with their permission of course :wink: ) like Kathy, Tracy, and a couple that are not listed on RU but are in Birmingham and Tamworth :wink:

wondered if a list like this would help in petshop window too as I have just put one of Tracys open day posters in ours. :D I dont suppose petshops who sell livestock would agree but most who dont are all too willing because it can bring extra trade in for them with sales of hay etc :wink:

jrn1310 said:
We have rehomed quite a number of animals to lovely homes in your area .

It does'nt surprise me as we do not have alot of petshops selling animals now, :D :D if you ask them they say there was no money to be made in selling them :wink: I have our local bargain pages twice a week and you get to recognise the same numbers so assume that we have a lot of breeders our way. Our only real nearest one is that famous petshop chain which is in Tamworth which strangely enough, where there is also a small animal rescue :wink:

I would love to see a map of where large pet shop chain stores in comparison to the rescues, I think it could start a story of events :wink:

KATHY said:
Hi Denny

I have a 28 day quarantine period anyway whether it be for surrendered pets or lost pets. In the mean time i do inform vets, the police,other rescues and the RSPCA if a stray comes in, but up to date i have had 23 rabbits and 1 gerbil in and they have never been claimed.

crikey, who managed to find the gerbil :shock: :( I did'nt realise the amount of strays that a rescue can acquire :( :( Its a crying shame that the government dont realise what is happening out here being caused by petshop sales :(

My parent's local pet shop found that they were practically paying people to take the animals from them when they worked out the costs. They put up adverts for local rescues in their shop window instead.

Caz

Back