• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying

chibichan

Young Bun
Hi, I own about an 8 month old female rabbit (we don't know exactly got her from a firend). We have been trying to litter train her and she seems to use it failrly well, except she always leaves a few presents around the cage. I assumed this was because she was marking her territory. I read that spaying her would help with this along with increasing her life span and making her firendlier etc. I was wondering if she was old ebough to spay yet and about how much it would cost. Thanks!

She is definetley old enough to spay. I can't say that she will stop leaving presents all together but she won't do it as often. I would definetly suggest getting her spayed though. It is better in the long run and stops most aggression she displays. I can't tell you a price because I am from the USA but over here it can be anywhere from $90.00-$150.00. There is a big range!

I'm in NY. I go to college so I live around Schenectady in the summer (now) and got the price here. I go to school in Oswego Stste, which is about 1/2 hour away from Syrcuse. If that helps any. :lol:

sorry I can't help you with vet recomendations. I live in Chicagoland, Illinois. If you are going to be spending that much money then I would suggest going to the vet with the best reputation and most experience with rabbit spay regardless of price.

chibichan said:
I'm in NY. I go to college so I live around Schenectady in the summer (now) and got the price here. I go to school in Oswego Stste, which is about 1/2 hour away from Syrcuse. If that helps any. :lol:

It may sound a bit sketchy but PetsMart's Banfield Vet usually has a fair share of exotics experience from all those hamsters and rats in the store. We have a few good exotics vets around the area but it's something we've looked into before.

I know they fix dogs and cats and Petsmart tends to have instore adoption centers with kitties and rabbits, and being in NY I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find.

chibichan said:
Hi, I own about an 8 month old female rabbit (we don't know exactly got her from a firend). We have been trying to litter train her and she seems to use it failrly well, except she always leaves a few presents around the cage. I assumed this was because she was marking her territory. I read that spaying her would help with this along with increasing her life span and making her firendlier etc. I was wondering if she was old ebough to spay yet and about how much it would cost. Thanks!

The lady at the rescue where I recently got my bunnies from suggested that I phone round a few vets for prices. I'm glad I did!
My local vet who I've been taking my recue cats to for years quoted me £76 but I've since found a vet that will do it for under £40. So it's worth phonining around.
I have also got some very good advice from another forum member re questions to ask your vet re neutering spaying etc. I will copy and paste below:

1/Do they remove both the womb and ovaries-they should

2/What antibiotics are danderous for rabbits-Pencillan (anything ending in 'illen') also clindamycin and erythromycin and a few others.

3/Do you have to stop the rabbit from eating and drinking before the operatin? (this is a trick question, if they say yes then find a different vet because they obviously know nothing about rabbits, they should say no because a rabbit cannot vomit like dogs and cats due to a flap of skin over the stomach and also because a rabbits digestive system should always be moving and taking away food puts rabbits at a greater risk)

4/What anesthetics are used? Isofluorene is the best I believe, although i know that some vets use others which can cause the rabbit to feel 'Hung over' which is bad as this could effect how quickly the rabbit gets back to eating again.

5/You may also want to ask about how many rabbits they spay and neuter each year and what the sucess rate is. Less than 95% and I wouldn't use that vet, that is more than 1 in 20!!! Also if any did die i would ask the cause.

6/Also ask about post and pre-op care, what painkillers are given, and how they will detect problems.

There is more on the House rabbit society as well and also some things you may want to ask for the boys. The main thing is to make sure they keep eating and right post and pre op care is given, because as you know it is vital that there digestive system doesn't shut down! I would also ask the vet for a needless syringe so as you can force feed your rabbit if she doen't eat again. Also i would keep her away from any males because if they mount her it can cause internal damage.

Thanks to Beebop for this info.
Cheers Rabswood

Back