• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is the information getting through.

rabshan

Mama Doe
While I was at the vets surgury this week A chap came in with 2 bunnies, he left with only one :( :( :( they had both had flystrike, one so badly that it had to be PTS. I spoke to the owner (bit difficult as he was traumatised) he HAD NEVER heard of flystrike or what it could do to a bunny. He seemed in shock & kept saying how could he stop it from happening again. The vets gave him rearguard, I told him to make sure that he checked his bunny at least 3 times a day particularly morning & night & a few pratical things (the bunnies lived in a hutch at night & spent the day out in the garden) like covering the hutch with netting to stop flies getting in :? :? I forgot to ask how he got his bunnies (both black dutch) but surely he should have been given some information & advice on how to care for them. He said they were his childrens pets but having taken on a pet you must assume some responabilty for its welfare & take the trouble to find out about its needs.

You would be surprised at how many customers come to me with their buns and have never heard of flystrike, and their is so mant that never think of checking buns bums.

This is a difficult one isnit, lots of people dont bother to read up on there pets wether it be a rabbit or something else.Most pet owners of course are not going to come up against fly strike,[thank god].I know there are leaflets at most vets about it.I sertainly cover most things to owners that come to me for a rescue or a baby from me, plus advise to go to the liberary and get a book out [ as most people wouldnt pay for a book im sure.Its hard to know whot else to do.There are many things that can go wrong and most people dont know whot to look for anyway,if u listed all the problems they are unlikly to take it all in.Fact sheets i suppose are the best idea but its getting pet shops to do them.It has given me an idea though perhaps everyone that comes on here could do a simple fact sheet and print off some and offer them to there local pet shops , i think the smaller ones would take them not so sure about the bigger ones like the dreaded pets at home . I think i shall have a go anyway anyone else up for it? val :) :?: :?:

info.

Hi val...Yes thats a very good idea. I know that the pet shop which I go to has leaflets & gives out lots of information about bunnies, she also does rescue & offers to take back any ones which do not fit in with new owners...I am thinking about asking my vets if I could put up some information about this group as I am sure that some new owners would like to get their info from here (particularly the younger ones ) When I got my rats I didn,t know anything about them but i got a book & read that & looked up websites realad to rats so I could learn about their special needs..If I can make that effort so can others.

info

Hi kim...erm not sure but I suppose you could always print up some details on your P.C. if its O.K. with admin as long as the message can be got across to folks thats the main thing. I can,t forget that little dutch boy he was so sweet even with his little shaved bum, he was still bright & alert, It was the owner that seemed to need help he was in a dreadful state...could that have been avoided well i will never know but if the bunny had been checked it may have been able to have been saved.

Sounds like a good idea. Pet shops etc might be more likely to accept factsheets if the were endorsed by Rabbit Welware/ Rabbit Rehome don't you think? Or do they already have something?

When I got my rabbits from the rescue, I didn't come away with any printed info. The lady that run the rescue also had a day job as well as loads of rescue rabbits. I had thought about doing a general info leaflet for her so that she could give them out to people who adopt her rescue buns.

Haven't offered yet as I know it would take me quite some time, work commitments etc. But I'd really like to do it.
Rabswood
(Michelle)

just had mine to but with peach being sick havent got the time to read it yet may be some of us could get together and prduce a leflet that could be printed of as meny coppies as needed then they could be given out

I work at a vets and i always give bunny owners all the information i can, giving leaflets on rearguard etc & also doing a poster display on flystrike etc. It is a horrendus thing to see let alone be the poor bunny that it happens too :cry: Some people don't seem to realise that a bunny cannot be left in a hutch at the bottom of the garden!

I saw a chap with a bearded collie with fly strike in my vets this week, I got chatting to him, the dog was such a state... He said his wife was a VET!!!! but she was away atm. I couldn't believe it!! sometimes I loose faith in the human race!

I work in a pet store (not pah!!) and I always go through EVERYTHING with potential owners, of any pet, not just bunnies, We also charge quite high prices for our livestock, I think it makes ppl think twice before they buy!! I like to know all my liitle pets I sell are going to be loved and well cared for!!

info.

Well done to you buttonmoon :D :D :D giving out information is a step in the right direction :D :D :D I also think that charging high prices for animals is good :) :) :) it may just make some think twice about buying a pet :wink: :wink: :wink:

Back