• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering - a simple question!

chinakit

Warren Scout
What age can a male rabbit be neutered? I am thinking of keeping my most recent rescue. He's 4 months old, is that too young?

Jane xx

What age does this normally happen? I have had a look and can't see or feel any bits (poor bunny :roll: ). But don't they sometimes pull them back inside when they are stressed?

And having someone messing with them is probably stressful :lol:

I just rang my vet, and they said leave it until he's about 6 months, is this right?

Jane xx

I believe it can be any time from four months as long as they are down. Six months is a good time if you are in no rush as they should be down and if they aren't they need to be done then anyway.

Caz

Yeah most vets like to wait to at least 5-6 months. :wink:

I am getting my Fudge spayed next Friday, I spent ages talking to the vet and asking them all the usual questions like what post and pre- op care do you give, what ansethic do you use, what medicines are toxic (they answered all correctly), so at least I know they are a good vet and Fudge is in good hands! :D

Well I would like to see if he will bond with one of my does, hopefully the nervous one, he is very confident and it might help her realise I am not going to hurt her.

How long after neutering should I leave him before trying the introductions?

If the doe is spayed, which ideally she should, then around 2-3 weeks to let him recover (I think), although if she hasn't been spayed then wait for around 6 weeks as some males can be fertile for that long! :wink: Although I would spay her before the introductions as she is more likely to accept him if she hasn't already.

The doe hasn't been spayed yet, as I haven't had her long, was letting her settle in first, but I do intend getting her done at some point.

Jane xx

If you want to bring him up to me we can have a look together or I will come down to you if you want.
Kay

Hi Kay

I just phoned the vets today, they said to leave him until he's 6 months old, so will do that. I might like you to have a look at him nearer the time though, so you can check for me that 'they have dropped' :? :shock:

Jane xx

Back