• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

are bucks prone to testiclular cancer?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i as a matter of course neuter all buns that i have ever had! i am supposed to be getting hagrid done tommorrow, but am very nervous because of all his previous problems ie....chronis stasis and the fact that he is not like a regular bunny and gets diahorah (sp?) when he eats anything other than pellets and hay! i was thinking of not getting him done but that just means i have to wait longer to bond him to herm, until she is old enough to be done!" :(

what do you think

I wouldn't recommend bonded an unneutered male to a neutered female. The result is most likely to be him perminanntly pestering her and her getting annoyed with him. If you want to bond him he really needs to be neutered.

Tam

Ive got to agree with tamsin here your doe would have a bad time with an un nutered buck,the cases of cancer in rabbits are not common,ive never had a buck with testicular cancer and all my show rabbits are not done,i have had one doe that had it,when she was spayed for rehoming.As long as your rabbit is in good heath at the time of the op it should be fine ,its such a short op and they are over it by and large by the next day.

Hiya Bunnylove

yep - agree with all said here really - My bunny savy Vet said that Testicular Cancer in Bucks is rare (although it does happen) and in her 20 years she had never seen a case but for bonding purposes I think your boy's hormones would definately kick in and your little girl would be pestered - also there is the danger of injury to his vital bits :shock: should she protest and decide to have a nip at him :shock:

Zac is not neutered at the moment but I wouldn't try him with the girlies Buffs and Cagney until he is - he's still fully bonded with his mum at the moment - and I'm lovin it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps.

bunnytales said:
Hiya Bunnylove

yep - agree with all said here really - My bunny savy Vet said that Testicular Cancer in Bucks is rare (although it does happen) and in her 20 years she had never seen a case but for bonding purposes I think your boy's hormones would definately kick in and your little girl would be pestered - also there is the danger of injury to his vital bits :shock: should she protest and decide to have a nip at him :shock:

Zac is not neutered at the moment but I wouldn't try him with the girlies Buffs and Cagney until he is - he's still fully bonded with his mum at the moment - and I'm lovin it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope this helps.

thanks lany and everyone i just thought maybe i could get him out of it but do really want him to spend his life with his sister, so he is booked for this morning! :( :( :(

Eve x

Back