• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size hutch for 2 rabbits ?

sweety

Warren Scout
Hi

As you know, I have pepper a blue dutch male bunny who is neuterd (thank goodness)

My friend who has his mum and sister can no longer keep both as shes not allowed to keep bunnies in hutches on her balcany any more so the mummy bunny is now going to be an indoor bunny.

Ok now I am currently looking after the sister bunny (still understand me)

What I want to know is, if I keep her and she gets on well with pepper, what size cage do I put them in. Im happy to buy whatever size they need, there are huge enormous 6ft plus in petshops for £100 odd pounds.

They will come out ever day as I dont believe they should stay in and I get pepper in the house if its raining.

The females bigger than pepper as he is small like his dad, average so the vet told me. The female however is longer than him but about the same in weight.

Be grateful for any tips as ive always had single bunnies in hutches.

Lisa

Hiya,

I found it cheaper and better quality to buy a Bargain Pages and find a carpenter in there, then get him/her to make one for you, that way you get a complete say in what you have. This is what I did and although my huches weren't cheap, I got a bargain for what they are.

Sorry going back to your original question, the RSPCA recommend at the minute 18 feet, with access to a run. that could be a dimension of 6x3 foot as the minmum size.

:D

hi

Hi

Thanks, 6ft yep!! I understand, thats ok..

Not sure if im keeping her yet, I let them run together today, they were ok, he did mount her though but gave up after the 3rd attempt.

We see how it goes, ive got her for at least 1 month anyway..

Lisa

hi

Hi

I wont get her done cos he is and ive had rabbits for 30 yrs and not one
of my does have ever had cancer so im leaving that, they have all lived a good 10 to 15 yrs.

I wont go into that as people have been judgmental on why I say that.

They got on ok again yesterday but ive not made up my mind although she is rather sweet and has been good as gold here with me.

Sweety

hi

Yes I know, I didnt mean to sound bad.

They have been playing nice tonight bless the little darlings..

Sweety

Re: hi

sweety said:
Hi

I wont get her done cos he is and ive had rabbits for 30 yrs and not one
of my does have ever had cancer so im leaving that, they have all lived a good 10 to 15 yrs.

I wont go into that as people have been judgmental on why I say that.

They got on ok again yesterday but ive not made up my mind although she is rather sweet and has been good as gold here with me.

Sweety
I was so happy to read that you've had buns that lived up to 15 years as you may know my rescue bun, Molly, is the grand old age of 11 so its reassuring to know there still be quite a few years left in her :thumb: It sounds like the buns will make your mind up for you and they are doing a pretty good job at the mo :wink: my pair are in a hutch 5" x 2" x 2" but they do have a run in the garden daily. Good luck

hi

Well im beginning to feel like she should be here permantly :)
she was so nasty where she was before but so sweet here, im going to make up my mind by monday after their run today, last night he didnt mount her so much and she sprayed his face with wee wee, im glad im not a rabbit :lol: he backed off then and they just rubbed heads.

Ive been lucky, most of my bunnies, the ones ive had from birth or 8 weeks have lived for at least 10/12 and I had a new zealand white who had lots of litters in her life and doed at 15 and a sable dwarf who too lived to 15, i bred her myself, ive had lots that ive rescued, mainly Lops which I wont have now, they only lived a short while due to various probs..

Sweety

hutch

Hi sweety... I dont have my does spayed either as most of mine have been rescued ex-breeders & if they have had a litter it reduces their chances of getting cancer anyway!!! I would go for the biggest hutch that you can afford & have space for,

hi

I was going to put another post up but thought id ask here first.

Ok as ive never had a neuterd male ever and a female as a friend can anyone tell me how long he will do the mounting bit, I know he will still do it but from anyones experience, does this stop or what? I know its partly behavioural too.

I just wondered as its been only a few days and they get on, shes not been nasty or spiteful only spraying him to warn him off.

If I keep her I may just house them seperately but they will play out every day. He was neuterd 6 weeks ago, the vet said he would be in fertile, god I hope :lol: otherwise in 28 days I will have 8 blue dutch and they are brother/sister..Im not sure hes done it properly from what ive witnessed bless him, and from my breeding days.

Sweety

He should be fine 6 weeks after his neutering - no babies!! Bobby was introduced to Nougat at about 6 weeks after his neutering and, to my knowledge, has never mounted her. She seems to be he dominant one, though. I was very lucky with these two and they bonded almost immediately.
I think, like with everything, it depends on the bunny.

hi

Hi

Ok thanks, well as I said its been a few days or so ,I will see what happens, I know they mount to prove dominance.

Maybe hes just a randy rabbit in his head.. :lol:

Sweety

Harry still mounts his neutered lady friends.... and he's been neutered for over 5 years :lol: :lol: :lol:

He just enjoys going through the motions :lol: :lol:

hi

Oh well I suppose he is a MAN after all,lol even if he is missing a bit or two....

Its just im worried about putting them in the same cage,she may nip him? or not, I dont know..

Sweety

Back