• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peteys on the mend :-)

Debs2811

Alpha Buck
Well I dont think Petey is too worse for wear after his little op yesterday (neuter) He looked a bit shell shocked when I picked him up from the vets, and was not happy with the car ride home :? But as soon as he spotted him run and Jess waiting for him in the run next door, he seemed to perk up, first thing he did was have a huge drink of water, then he nibbled some hay, which was encouraging, he didnt eat much after the op according to the vet, and they said they wished he had eaten more before I picked him up, but he didnt touch his pellets at all last night, which was a little worrying, but at about 8pm I went upstairs to sit with them all while handfeeding all of them some nice veggies. I usually just fill all their bowls with veg, but I wanted to make sure Petey ate it, so as soon as he saw Louis and Jess being hand fed, he wanted in too :lol: and when he thought 1-2 bits were all he could manage, he looked over and saw Jess munching away on yet more kale.......so he asked for some more, in the end he ate roughly his normal size helping of veg (if not a bit more :D )

So I was happy he had eaten a good meal and had apssed quite a lot of poos and wees, when we went to bed I checked on him again and he still hadnt touched his pellets :( but as long as he eats his veg and hay for the next few days im not going to worry :D

Looked on him this morning and he had obviously been active enough in the night to have dug all his hay out of the box which I had given him to keep it tidy and stop it irritating his wound, he had also moved his tunnel around, he is quite bouncy but the only difference is that he wont at the moment stretch out on his tummy like he usually does (then who can blame him as it must feel quite tender) and he wont stand up to stretch too far.

The vet said I was supposed to check the wound for any signs of swelling, infection, bleeding etc, but not sure how to as he hates being picked up and struggles ALOT :shock: Any ideas?? Im worried if I try to hard to pick him up and flip him on his back then he may struggle so hard he might hurt himself :(

Aww Glad petey's getting better. You could try putting a towel over him when you pick him up and just have a quick peek XXXX

Do you have anyone to help? I got Brendan to hold up my boys with one hand under the front legs around the chest with a hand under the bum facing me (i.e. the rabbit's back was against Brendan's tummy) then I could see - I couldn't poke or prod though as they weren't secure enough but I was able to spot that Zeus had a small abcess where he had nibbled the stitches and with Cosmos I was able to spot where he had nibbled off the glue and opened the wounds.

I have been a bit unlucky with my guys my vet said it was sods law that both my boys were fiddlers ;)

Caz

Back