• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Warning to shed bunnies

elve

Banned
Many people who keep their bunnies in a shed have a hutch or bunny box for them to climb on and get cosy in - My 2 chewed some of the roofing felt off their bunny box a couple of weeks ago - I have no proof but I'm sure this is why Pepsi died of bloat last night :cry:

It is such sticky stuff it all modges together, so even little bits chewed off will stick into a big, tarry ball - horrible stuff and I can't believe it tastes nice either...

I've just been around the edge of the bunny box with a craft knife and stripped all the remaining felt off - The box is in a shed so it doesn't need to be waterproof, and just a little nibble of this stuff could be fatal I think - If only I'd realised that a few weeks ago I think Pepsi would still be here.

I dont know what to say, I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Please trynot to blame yourself it may not have been the hutch roof, it could have been something you had no control over.

Thinking of you.

hi

thanks for being so kind - it's ironic really - I spent months plucking up the courage to take some bunnies on - I did so much research into the proper way to look after them - I was so scared of 'doing it wrong' - I had every item you could buy for the healthy bunny...and this happens!
I am jinxed I think - this is just typical for me and my mess of a life...Or maybe I just expect perfection when I'm only a hooman after all - I will beat myself up over this for a long time to come - I just know it was the roofing felt...Not much point in being wise after the event though!
Poor Pepsi was such a lovely, sensitive bunny - always nudging for strokes and coming to see me :cry:

It's pretty rare for bunnies to get a blockage because most of the time anything they chew is in small pieces and goes straight through. It's not like dogs that will swallow a whole ball or daft things like that - bunnies nibble things small bits at a time. It's quite possible this was totally unrelated to any nibbling they had been doing.

We could keep our bunnies in sterile boxes with no toys or things to play in/under/on. They'd probably be safer but they wouldn't get to enjoy life. I know me saying it wouldn't make you believe it but I really don't think it's your fault.

You're a good bunny mum. I guarentee you, every time one of us loses a pet we think of something that we could have/should have done differently... noticed something earlier, tried a different treatment, not done this, done that. It doesn't matter whether it would have made a difference or not. They are our responsibility so there is always the feeling that you should have been able to protect/save them. It's the same feeling whether they are with us months or years and whatever they pass away from.

He was loved and had the best life a bunny could hope for - that is the important thing.

Tamsin

I'm very sorry for your loss. As some have already said, try not to blame yourself (I know it's hard not to). Chances are it wasn't the felt but of course you will be looking for a reason and to you it seems like one. Small animals like rabbits deteriorate very quickly and are afflicted by many different ailments, so it could have been any number of things - please don't blame yourself.

Hugs to you and Benny.

AMETHYST

hi

Thanks for all your sympathy - we gave Pepsi his big send off yesterday - wrapped his coffin in one of my fav duvet covers - looked suitably lovely for such a lovely bunny, and my son came and said goodbye too...

I was very depressed about it, with only having had him for 4 months I blamed myself really - but accidents happen and it was really an unfortunate combination of events - eating tarry roofing felt and a plastic rattle, on top of Benny going into a heavy moult just blocked him up totally :(

But the change in Benny's behaviour towards me is amazing - I never would have believed it! He's gone from being a bunny I could barely stroke, to yesterday laying his head flat to the floor and demanding I rub his nose for 10 minutes! He's also done the tail waggling thing at me - not sure what that means but it looks really cute and funny :)
He seems perfectly happy on his own, but I've noticed he's not getting any exercise any more - they used to chase around together, so I'm enquiring about getting a female from RR - I rang up yesterday but she's waiting to be spayed at the mo...

Back