• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

happy bunnies?

houndour

Warren Scout
How do you know if your bunny is happy?

My 2 have become house bunnies (after being outdoor bunnies) for less than a week. I can't figure out if they are happy or not.

Their cage is in the hallway and we've blocked off the stairs so that they can come and go as they like when we are in. I spent all of friday with them...they came out first thing. Then went back in their cage for most of the day! Only coming out again in the evening.

We only spent the morning with them on Sunday and again they stayed in most of it. And today my bf said they spent most of the day in their cage.

I know bunnies are more active in morning and evening...but I just want to check if they are ok.

At night they are quite active (can hear them throwing toilet tubes (filled with carrot treats lol) around).

Is it a good sign that because they stay in their cage they've accepted it as their territory? or not?

Sam

Sometimes it's hard to tell. My rabbits Miles and Miffy will spend most of the day (about 18 hours) fast asleep in the same place under the sofa, another hour eating/drinking/pooping, and the rest of the time gently hopping about or occasionally binkying. I wouldn't say they played much, but you can tell they're very very happy. How, you ask? Well, the fact that they binky at all, the fact that they don't destroy things out of sheer boredom, and the fact that they have plenty to do if they wanted to.

I hope that helps a little!

AMETHYST

what is binkying?

hmmm, I have to admit my bunnies were usually very naughty when they came in the house for a few hours at a time ( when they lived outside). They'd always be trying to get behind the sofa, behind the fish tank, chewing the sofa, wires etc! But since they've been living indoors they've been really good.

But I thought this might be a bad sign.

I'm just getting really concerned because I've been home tonight 2 hours and they still havent come out of their cage!! They are very chilled...all stretched out. I spose it could be the very hot weather we've had today.

kymber was my first house bun and when i came down in the morning i used to let him out he used to go mad for about 20 minutes then have his breakfast and would spend the rest of the day until early evening under my sons bed asleep! he would spend all evening with us then go to bed!

my giants sleep alday to, i have just added a run to my shed buns shed so they can come and go as they please and they also spend allday in doors and come out when the sun goes down!!!!!

most rabbits in my option are less active during the day especially in the summer months!

eve x

Hmmm, I've only had my rabbits since May, so I'm not experienced with them. I guess the other thing is cos they were outside you dont really get to see what they are doing all the time. And I have to admit while it's hot they stayed inside the playhouse all day until it got cooler before they went into the run.

I guess I'm just worrying.

Binkying is when a bunny jumps into the air for no apparent reason, they normally shake their head and twist their bodies too! They can do this from a standing position, or whilst they are running! It's basically a very playful thing to do, but in this hot weather they're very rare.

If I had to say I'd say the hot weather was making them lazy - just like people!

AMETHYST

Binkying is when a bunny jumps into the air for no apparent reason, they normally shake their head and twist their bodies too! They can do this from a standing position, or whilst they are running! It's basically a very playful thing to do, but in this hot weather they're very rare.
ooooooooooooooohhh. I didn't know that :oops: I always wondered what "binky free" meant.

I think I may have seen eeyore do this once in the living room. My boyfriend tells me he's seen them do it outside.

I will keep an eye out for this! But yeah the hot weather is probably making them lazy and lethargic.

Aww, I can tell when Sophie is happy! :D She lies all stretched out with her nose up in the air (and it twitches away!!!) :lol: Or she lies in a slipper position and sleeps!! She is most happiest though when she is lying next to us getting fuss!! Her little teeth chatter away happily :D

Or she binkies around the room of course! :wink:

Squidgy's the same, staying in his "castle!". He comes out for nose round, then spends most of the time grooming or snoozing. He has plenty of toys, but only really bothers with his treat ball (for obvious reasons :D ).
We know he's happy, 'cos when he's laid all stretched out, we can even touch his feet and he doesn't move, he's that relaxed!!

I notice on rare occasion, whether my rabbit is indoor or hopping out, that he makes a high jump for a moment. I assume he is excited about something.

And needless to say, if the food is good, he licks my hand.

If they don't like active, it could be the hot summer, put them inside see if there is a difference.

can you imagine if you were outdoor all day?

Back