• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keeping cool in this heat?

ClaireMorris

Young Bun
Has anyone got any advice about keeping my bunny cool in this weather, his hutch and his run are in shaded areas, i am changing the water in his bottle frequently to make sure that is cold.

I have noticed a few people mention Frozen bottles :? would it help?

Also how much time do u think he should be in his run in this weather? as i have tried to get him out of his hutch a couple of times today and he growled at me and scratched me! :(

I dont think he likes me :cry:

I had to chase my 2 lazy male rabbits outside today :lol: :lol: :lol: I figured they'd be much happier outside under a nice shady bush than stuck inside in this heat!!! Someone mentioned that marble slabs were good for keeping bunnies cool and if you've got freezer space then frozen bottles. There was a post on this last month that had some really good ideas if you do a search! :D

HI Claire, all my buns are outside permanently, if you give him a frozen water bottle he can snuggle up to it and he will cool down you can also spray the top of his hutch and the run and around it with a hose pipe. This is what we do for all the buns and it keeps them cool enough XXXX

mine love frozen water bottles!!! they lay on top of them, lick them!!! they are a great way of keeping the buns cool

I'd thought about these too as I don't have room in my freezer for big bottles! But I was worried that the bunnies might nibble them, does anyone know whether the liquid inside is harmfull?

freezer packs bad idea i just put them one each in their hutches and the started attcking and chewin them my mum wouldnt be too pleased it they chewed them up and i dont know what is pu inside of the packs it could be some liquid which is designed too stay cooler for longer therfore having harmfull chemicals in :?

so ill try the bottles much safer option.

i suppose frozen packs are ok not to sure if the liquid inside is safe you could always wrap them in a tea towel just in case they do nibble.

I use either big cola bottles or even small bottles which ever is easier for you to fit in the freezer.

I also read that if your bunny is in a dog crate, peg a cold flannel to the crate and let the fan blow through the flannel as the air blowing will then be cooler! :wink:

Tamsin also suggested giving the buns frozen carrots... they eat them like ice lollies!!!!! LOl :lol:

I put a blanket over half of the run, and soak it with water frequently. Mine however have taken to digging a small hole under their daytime hutch and stay there until the afternoon!

This email arrived today:

Date: 07/11/05 09:04:51
To: RWAFirstAlert@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [RWAFirstAlert] Hot cross bunnies!

While you're enjoying the mini heat wave, spare a thought for your
rabbits who can easily get distressed in the heat. These tips should
ensure that your rabbits enjoy the summer too:

Hutched rabbits
* Check your rabbits at least 3 times a day for evidence of
discomfort or illness (see 'fly strike' below).
* Provide plenty of fresh cool water at all times
* Position hutches and runs in the coolest, shadiest parts of the
garden, well out of direct sunlight.
* To lower the temperature in the hutch, freeze house bricks, or
plastic bottles half-filled with water, wrapped in a towel to prevent
burning, and place in the hutch.
* Use sun umbrellas to provide shade in the run, or buy a run cover
and make sure your rabbit has access to an area where he can lie on
cool earth.
* Ensure that the hutch is well ventilated with a secure wire mesh
front to prevent the rabbit escaping, yet providing a safe area to
hide if startled.
* A hand-held plant spray bottle can be filled with cool - but not
cold - water, and used to gently spray your rabbits' ears and stomach
if they appear in distress.

Rabbits kept in sheds
* Sheds used to keep rabbits in should be kept cool by way of a water
sprinkler on the roof, or by regular hosing down as often as
possible, in addition to the points mentioned above.

If your rabbit is showing signs of distress, drape him in a wet tea-
towel and take him straight to the vet.

Fly strike
Flystrike occurs when flies lay their eggs on rabbits. The eggs hatch
into maggots which then eat away at the surrounding flesh. Certain
species of fly (notably bluebottles) produce maggots capable of
eating through intact skin. However, if the rabbit already has a
break in the skin then any kind of maggot will be able to eat into
the wound.

In warm conditions, the whole process from eggs being laid to maggots
emerging can take just a few hours, so it is vitally important that
rabbits are checked regularly. In the worst cases, there may be
severe tissue loss where maggots have literally eaten the rabbit
alive:
sometimes maggots eat down to the bone in the hind legs or even into
the abdomen.

The good news is that most cases of flystrike are preventable, but
occasionally even the best kept bunny is afflicted. Prompt action is
then vital to save the rabbit.

Preventing flystrike
* If tour rabbits have had previous flystike, are obese, have
arthritis, are old and frail, are long-haired, have wounds or
draining abscesses then they are more at risk of contracting flystrike
* Don't allow your rabbit to get fat
* Be careful putting rabbits out on the lawn if they are
unaccustomed - scoffing unaccustomed grass may lead to loose
droppings and soiled bottoms on high risk warm summer days!
* High risk rabbits are safer indoors but daily bottom checks are
still required
* Insect proof hutches and runs (e.g. by stapling net curtains over
hutch fronts)
* Even houserabbits need to have their bottoms checked twice daily in
warm weather
* If you find fly eggs on your rabbit, pick them off; check for
concealed maggots; and step up your prevention programme. You should
also seek vet advice at this point.
* Since summer 2002, a product has been licensed in the UK for use in
rabbits to prevent flystrike (Rearguard, Novartis Animal Health).
This is a liquid preparation that is applied to the rabbit, lasting
for up to 10 weeks.

If you find maggots on your rabbit:
* This is an emergency, day or night: seek immediate veterinary
attention.
* Remove obvious maggots with tweezers. Remember that there will
probably be concealed maggots that have already eaten their way under
the skin. Do NOT wash off the maggots with water as your rabbit's
fur will need to be clipped and this is almost impossible to do
successfully with wet or damp fur.

To read the full article on flystrike, please visit:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/Flystrike.htm

I use frozen water bottles for both my boys. Most suggest milk jugs because they're square to prevent rolling but my hutch doesn't have enough room for my boys to comfortably stretch out and move around with a big jug in there and there is not nearly enough room in the freezer. I use 2 litre pop bottles and the boys roll them aroun the hutches to where they want them.

Another thing is to buy ceramic tiles. They keep cool and bunnies will lay on them. Some people even put tiles in the freezer for really hot days. But if you use tiles, make sure it's in the shade that way it stays cooler longer.

I periodically add some ice chips to their water too to keep it nice and cool.

If there's room, provide a box of dirt or sand for them to dig and roll in. That's quite often cool if in the shade.

We just got a fan for Jaro as upstairs does get really hot.

Just tried placing some frozen water bottles upright just in front of it so it blows air over - and it works really well - nice ice cold air.

You'll need to place the bottles in a dish though - as the condensation really runs off it.

Martin + Pam

Right, i've got a bottle of water in the freezer ready for tomorrow!
Thanx Lynda i found that very informative, esp. about the flystrike!

Right, i've got a bottle of water in the freezer ready for tomorrow!
Thanx Lynda i found that very informative, esp. about the flystrike! :shock:

My bunny isn't used to being in my grass as i've only had him for a week and the run for a few days, so if i'm not supposed to let him too much of the grass, what do i do? Is it alright to put the run on a paved area? :?

I've got my run on a paved area and they're fine on that!!! It was mainly so that they couldn't dig out!!!

I think it depends on the bunny as to whether grass will give them a bad tummy! I let Splodge out on the grass for the first time when he was 11 weeks, he ate loads but his stomach was fine, no squidgy poos!!!

I might try putting the run on the patio tomorrow then, cos hes made a right mess of the grass today digging, and hubby is not to pleased :roll: :wink:

Back