• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

attention for anyone that has attached runs to there sheds?

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
do you shut of the run at night or do you leave it open, reason i ask is that i have just attached a secure run to my shed and i would like to leave it open all night BUT i have never done this before and worry that the foxes might harrase them!

what do you think?

Eve x

We have a lot of foxes round us and they often come into our garden, so I just wouldn't risk it. Its a shame because they love sitting out in the dark. I leave them out as long as possible, its always the last thing I do before bed, friday night they had a real treat they were sat out till 1am but its usually about 11 pm when I shut the flaps and lock the doors.

All ours have permanet access to their runs, touch wood we have never seen or heard of foxes in our area, we are in a fairley built up area though with no woods etc near, i know there are urban foxes but as i say not seen any evidence and have been here 5 years and had the rabbits nearly a year, the lass that lived next door kept hers free range in the garden all day whe she was out too, i wouldn't do this as there are too many cats.

i know the foxes could not get in there but can they do any damage with the rabbits just seeing them heartattack kinda thing? or will the rabbits have the sense to go in the shed and hide!?

eve x

Depends on your rabbits really, Eve. I've looked out plenty of times and seen foxes standing on my hutches looking in at the bunnies and nobody ever seems to have come to any harm. But they are used to dogs here.
Do you think yours would be frightened by them or just run into their shed through the flap? You know them best really. x

donna-arc said:
Depends on your rabbits really, Eve. I've looked out plenty of times and seen foxes standing on my hutches looking in at the bunnies and nobody ever seems to have come to any harm. But they are used to dogs here.
Do you think yours would be frightened by them or just run into their shed through the flap? You know them best really. x

do know really i have never had any other pet than rabbits and they have always been in sheds at night so i dont know how they would react!

Maybe for your own peace of mind you should shut them in at night.
At least that way you'll be able to sleep soundly knowing they will definitely be OK.
Even though mine have bolts and the dogs bark if anything comes in the garden - I'm always slightly on edge that something will happen to them at night as they only have wire between them and that damn fox!

Ours have permanent access to the run too.

We have never seen a fox in the 4 years we've lived here (despite being directly by open countryside). Some would call us foolhardy, and perhaps they're right, but the run is secure, and as others have said, they can always bomb up their tunnel into the shed if they're scared.

So I suppose it's up to you in the end and what you feel comfortable with. :?

Back